Community discussions

MikroTik App

chaoswombat
just joined
Topic Author

BGP performance

Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:31 pm

Hi,

we have been reading mixed reviews about the CCR's BGP performance, so I thought I'd post here and ask for valued opinions before deciding which HW to use.

Our setup contains 4 BGP peers with full routes sent over to us. Currently, this loads within seconds. We announce our space to all peers with a few exceptions, and we have a handful of filter rules in terms of which routes we deny (particularly denying routes from some peers if they contain specific AS numbers). We also make heavy use of BGP communities to tune routes, especially transatlantic ones, and we run GRE over our feeds. All uplinks are 1 - 10gbps, but we do not push more than several gbps at any time.

My questions are:

- how many pps can we expect to really achieve here (the specs say several mpps, but reviews state otherwise)
- how much of a concern is the fact that the OS makes no use of the multi core architecture for its BGP sessions? If one core tops out at 100% all the time, this is a no go, IMHO?
- any experience with VRRP, how stable is it in regards to the CCRs?
- has anyone ever had any issues using GRE/tunnels over BGP?
- how long does it take to load full routes from 4 peers? what about route convergence if one feed drops?
- what is the typical uptime for a router? Uptime is crucial, if we have to reboot the HW every 14 days this is a no-go.
- does performance depend on the use of BGP communities or filters (as in denying routes from peers), or blackhole communities?

thank you for any input!

cheers.

joegoldman
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: BGP performance

Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:09 pm

BGP on ROS6 is not optimised for the extreme multicore architecture of the CCR's, so you will see performance issues. Slight delays adding/removing routes etc, but it will take a while to import and calculate 4 full feeds, and even longer with communities and complex filters (beyond prefix match accept/deny) in play.

It took about 3-5 minutes for a single full feed of mine to come in, and can take up to 20-30 seconds when I add a blackhole route for it to propagate out.

ROS7 is meant to address these issues and some numbers from beta testing suggest its going to be significantly faster. The public beta of this wont be out until next year though by the looks , so will be a while off for production environment.

chaoswombat
just joined
Topic Author

Re: BGP performance

Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:17 am

BGP on ROS6 is not optimised for the extreme multicore architecture of the CCR's, so you will see performance issues. Slight delays adding/removing routes etc, but it will take a while to import and calculate 4 full feeds, and even longer with communities and complex filters (beyond prefix match accept/deny) in play.

It took about 3-5 minutes for a single full feed of mine to come in, and can take up to 20-30 seconds when I add a blackhole route for it to propagate out.

ROS7 is meant to address these issues and some numbers from beta testing suggest its going to be significantly faster. The public beta of this wont be out until next year though by the looks , so will be a while off for production environment.
thank you for the feedback, highly appreciated!