Community discussions

MikroTik App

rolands
just joined
Topic Author

Router advise

Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:26 am

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out the best devices I need to buy, but there are too many devices to choose from :)

I want a router for my 100Mb/100Mb internet connection. The router needs to route and firewall to and from the Internet and has to route and firewall between a couple vlans and I want to use it for vpn access to my network from the internet. The router is placed on the ground floor. From the ground floor there will be some connections to other network devices (access point, media player, computer, etc.).

I also want some switch/router for a second location on the first floor, connection between the ground and first floor is cat5e and I'm able to use two cat5e cables for lacp. This switch/router will connect to some network devices (access point, nas/file server, media player, computer, etc.)

So I need to find 2 devices, first a router/switch to for the ground floor and also a router/switch for the first floor. If it is better to use one device as router and a second as switch on the ground floor and a third as switch on the second floor, please advise.

I have some apple airport access points (one AirPort Extreme and two AirPort express) that work decently, but do not perform very good. Maybe I will replace them too, but first the basic infrastructure. I want some 802.11ac devices combined with 2.4/5GHz N, but I cannot find them from MikroTik, is this correct?

Is the RB2011UiAS-IN suitable as router on the ground floor or to slow for the job? Or can I better use the RB1100AHx2? I do prefer a desktop case, because prefer to install everything at a 10inch rack case. What about the RB850Gx2 board with a separate case?

For the first floor I was thinking about a RB750GL, CRS109, CRS125 or CRS210. A 5 port has just enough ports, I prefer 8 ports or more, but then again 5 is enough for this moment.

What is advised to use?

Any help is appreciated.

Br,
Roland

Nikita

Re: Router advise

Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:29 am

I have a Huawei E3272 USB LTE modem, which works fine on Windows 7.

I want to enable access to my Android phone, and iPad mini. I set up Virtual Router, and selected the wireless broadband connection that is the Huawei adapter, but I receive an error message when I try to start the Virtual Router saying "The Group or resourse is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation." Any clues as to how to progress?

Many thanks for your help.

rolands
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:04 pm

Why do you post this in my thread?

Anyone an advise for my questions, Mikrotik maybe?

rolands
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:30 pm

Anyone some advise?

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:51 am

There is no combined both band ac device from mikrotik. 2011 will be more than enough for your traffic.