Community discussions

MikroTik App

Darko3li
just joined
Topic Author

RB433UL reboot loop

Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:07 pm

Hello !
Is there any way to test memory in RB433UL, it has no rs232 port, there is pins on PCB but I read it is not operational.
I tried netinstall with 5.26, 6.18, 6.20, 6.22 and 6.23rc2 versions and all act almost the same, so problem must be hardware.
All voltages are OK
After netinstall access to it via winbox and MAC , setup eth. IP and wlan card, everything looks fine and works ok.
Soft reboot pass (via winbox) or telnet, no diference but when I turn power supply off and pull it back, routerboard
becomes inaccessible, cant access to it with winbox, no ping at all.
With 6.22 routerboard reboot every about 20 second, with 6.23rc2 no reboots but not accessible any more.
Netinstall again and all looks exelent until first power OFF ! :(
Any idea how to solve this problem or must turn it back, routerboard is still under warranty.

NathanA
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: RB433UL reboot loop

Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:17 pm

Sounds to me like the main bootloader is borked. When you initiate Netinstall mode from a RouterBoard that doesn't have a serial console, I believe by default it uses the backup bootloader, so that is probably why your Netinstall succeeds initially.

Try re-Netinstalling one more time, and then once you are Winbox'd into the router, immediately go to System -> Routerboard and do a firmware update. Even if it shows you are running the latest version of the firmware, run the update. It should reflash the primary bootloader with a fresh copy. Then try to powercycle the Routerboard again to test and see if that fixed the problem.

-- Nathan

Darko3li
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:29 pm

Thanks for answer!
I tried that and no luck.
Firmware is 3.18, upgrade to 3.18 was successful, "soft" reboot from winbox, all OK
Turned power off and back, no boot at all.
Netinstall with other MT version, "hard" reboot, first beep then two beeps and cant access to it.
No ping, no MAC in winbox.
No more ideas here.

Darko

NathanA
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:45 am

When you powercycle it after you have Netinstalled and it is up and working, does it ever beep? If so, does it only do the first beep, or does it also do the two beeps at the end?

I would try Netinstalling one more time, and then this time, when you get in with Winbox, set "/system routerboard settings set force-backup-booter=yes" and then soft-reboot and check to make sure the setting stuck. After making sure that it has, try a hard reboot/powercycle again and see if that does the trick.

If not, I'm out of ideas...RMA the board.

-- Nathan

EDIT: Wait, so sometimes you will Netinstall a certain version of RouterOS and it *will* double-beep at the end, but you still can't talk to it via Winbox? Have you tried a different computer in that case? I have noticed that some Ethernet chipset's Windows drivers do not get along with MAC Winbox and MAC Telnet...it either will not work at all, or will work sporadically (sometimes it will let you in, and if it does, it is only a matter of time before you get disconnected and the Winbox session closes by itself, etc.). Using a different Ethernet card or a different computer entirely can give you different results.

Darko3li
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:29 pm

Thanks !

Interesting but does not help :(

After that, soft reboot from winbox pass, all works OK
and now interesting, first powercycle pass OK, first beep and later another two, all works fine, great !
But, alway that "but", I tried powercycle again, only one beep and hangs.

And there is some interesting older logs:
jan/02/1970 00:14:13 system,error,critical System rebooted because of kernel failure

[admin@MikroTik] >
Console has crashed; please log in again.

reboot

MikroTik v5.26
Login: admin
Password:

stop

system,error,critical router was rebooted without proper shutdown by watchdog timer

[admin@MikroTik] >
Console has crashed; please log in again.

jan/02/1970 00:02:13 system,error,critical router was rebooted without proper shutdown
jan/02/1970 00:02:12 system,error,critical System rebooted because of kernel failure
jan/02/1970 00:02:12 system,error,critical router was rebooted without proper shutdown
jan/02/1970 00:02:12 system,error,critical System rebooted because of kernel failure
jan/02/1970 00:02:12 system,error,critical router was rebooted without proper shutdown

and problems with Netinstall, it stopped here:
and got this:
Second try pass OK and all again and again ...
Think that routerboard is ready to return it back. :?

dada
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:35 pm

RB433UL seems to be unusable, IMHO. We bought about 40-50 boards and most of them were already RMAed just after LAB tests. Near all the boards tends to reboot due to kernel failure/watchdog (tried several ROS versions including 6.27) or not to start at all after power up (hanging somewhere in boot loader probably - ether2/3 don't activate link in this case and the board doesn't respond on ether1)

Note: All of the board we have have serial number starting with 37DE0