Community discussions

MikroTik App

turbotev
just joined
Topic Author

mAP 2n blinking

Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:48 pm

Hi

I am having an issue with my newly purchased mAP 2n.
It was working fine for about 2-3 days.

Have tried resetting it using the reset button and also the screwdriver method at the bottom.

When i turn it on, i experience the following :

- No connectivity
- PWR, AP/CAP, Wireless, USR, ETH2 and ETH1 lights come on.
- USR light turns off, then all lights except power go off and then come one again.

Anyone had/having this issue ?

Thanks in advance

rore
just joined

Re: mAP 2n blinking

Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:24 pm

Same Problem here.
Used it a few days.
Now no connection, no reset possible. NetInstall doesn't work.......

??

zvopav
just joined

Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:50 pm

I have the same problem with my RBmAP2N

DL7JP
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:50 am

Yep.. exatly the same problem here. Just that it worked for 3 days :-)

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:21 am

Everyone tried Netinstall and connecting with MAC address? In that case, contact the seller for RMA procedure. We have not yet received any mAP devices for warranty repair, so it is hard to estimate what could be wrong, we would need to have at least one to look at.

DL7JP
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:29 pm

Everyone tried Netinstall and connecting with MAC address? In that case, contact the seller for RMA procedure. We have not yet received any mAP devices for warranty repair, so it is hard to estimate what could be wrong, we would need to have at least one to look at.
I tried to netinstall it, but the device did not show up in the netinstall tool. We will return the router.
- Joachim.
PS: I have a second one which works fine since 5+ days...

xetu
just joined

Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:50 pm

Hello,

here same Problem ... after a time i think 5 days we reboot the map2n after that same led blinking procedure as described below ....

no login, no ethernet, no netinstall, no booting ... i think the map2n is bricked ...

you have any idea to fix this problem ?!

best regards

klaparp
just joined

Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:01 pm

Think I have similar problem. Router is at factory defaults, sometimes it works properly but sometimes it wont give out any ip, its not possible to connect by wlan and wifi signal jumps from -95 to about -60db all the time.

Any one solved this yet?

akschu
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:51 am

Mine is acting very strange. I can't get a solid link light half the time, I was able to get in if I reboot it enough times, but after a downgrade to 6.25 after seeing kernel panic messages I was never able to get it to work again.

I guess I'll mail it back.

ma1121
just joined

Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:10 am

Count me in as one of those with a blinking mAP 2n...
Mine only got to live for 5~10 days. :-?

Found out that my PC doesn't connect to the device through Ether2 this morning, use wifi on mAP 2n to get connected and reboot the unit through Winbox.
The rest is like everyone else here: Blinking LED in the exact pattern, with no everything.

I purchase this so I could have the same ROS experience when I'm on business trip.
Only it's now a $45 USD brick.
Or should I say I'm lucky it's dead before the trip?

Now... Could I continue trusting that RB2011UiAS I bought the same time to replace my home router...!?
(Up and serving for about a month now)

@normis , mind give us some explanation?

nwa

Fri May 01, 2015 11:04 am

same problem here....

after update to 6.28 needs to reboot...
after the reboot same failure... all leds on... usr led off.... all leds off but power led on... a second later all leds on again..

i think the map2n is bugy

no reset works

and now ?

gogusrl

Wed May 06, 2015 9:29 am

same problem here, tried to update to 6.28, rebooted, all leds blinking, no mac, no netinstall, no nothing.

KBV
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed May 06, 2015 6:59 pm

Yes, on my device it was. Exactly when upgrading to 6.28
After that I was able to upload the new version using netinstall

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 08, 2015 11:37 pm

My problems with freshly bought mAP-2n for testing:

A. Long time to be detected by WinBox
B. No access from Winbox to mAP with default config - via IP and via MAC
C. after few attempts netinstalled to 6.28 with "apply default config"
D. Somehow managed to connect
E. LEDs flashes during boot and are all off after boot. mAP seems to be bricked but it works....
F. I resolved the problem with LED. Default 6.28 settings for LEDs are miscofigured and you need to set up them to more resonable settings...one LED for one value

And the biggest problem:

G. Backup files vanish after reboot so there is no possibility to make backups.

eljefe
just joined

Wed May 13, 2015 6:38 pm

Similar issues here. I've had my map2n for many months now, configured in AP bridge mode. All of a sudden yesterday, I lost connection to wifi. Sometimes i could connect but ping times would be poor or dropped both to the internet and to my gateway, which is a RB450G. From wired machines on the network, I could ping the map2n easily and without delay, and access the web config. Then suddenly, i could no longer access the web config and there were no SSIDs broadcast. I rebooted the device multiple times, and used both the reset button and the jumper several times. Finally i got a Mikrotik SSID and got back into the thing, configured a wired connection and downloaded firmware to the latest, 6.28. It was at this point that i thought i bricked it because the LEDs stopped working except the power led. After a few reboots and resets i got back into it via the wifi again, and found the setting to re-enable the LEDs. Still, spotty ability to connect to the SSID, it disappears and comes back sometimes after rebooting, sometimes not.

At this point i've given up on it, and ordered 2 of the new hap's which are due to be coming out soon. In the meantime ill try to find some old ap to make work until then.

G2Dolphin
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon May 18, 2015 10:42 am

A. Long time to be detected by WinBox
Mine is not...
B. No access from Winbox to mAP with default config - via IP and via MAC
Then how did you manage to set up it?.. Never seen that too, though.
And the biggest problem:

G. Backup files vanish after reboot so there is no possibility to make backups.
It's a feature of mAP. You need to save all files you will need after reboot to the "flash" folder. For example, you need to write backup file name as "flash/backup", and it will be available after reboot.

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon May 18, 2015 11:59 am

Then how did you manage to set up it?.. Never seen that too, though.
Patience and netinstall

macsrwe
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:08 am

I have processed, configured, and placed about a dozen mAPs in the past several months with no issues. Today, four more arrived, and none of them would netinstall, no way, nohow. I even had trouble getting them to show up in Winbox (both 3 and 2) until I moved the cable to port 2 and let it boot without using any of the special initialization buttons.

These units were shipped with ROS 6.23 in them. The "current firmware" in the units was 3.22, but the "upgrade" firmware (in ROS 6.23, I assume) showed as 3.17, which was just wrong. If you attempted to run a firmware upgrade (which my stock initialization macro does as a matter of course), you received, "cannot change firmware to this version."

Since none of them would netinstall, I had to upgrade the ROS by hand to 6.29.1 (the version that is available right now) to replace the underwater firmware, then reboot. After that, the firmware versions matched.

However, the units still will not netboot. Holding the side button until both USR and CAP/AP stop blinking does nothing -- the unit shows up in Winbox booted normally instead of in Netinstall. Setting the Routerboard settings to "Try ethernet once then NAND" and rebooting has exactly the same result. These are the first mAPs that have ever given me this problem.

There is nothing wrong with my netboot setup -- I can unplug the cable out of any of these faulty mAP units and plug it directly into an SXT with the button held down, and it shows up in the netboot window first time, every time.

All the evidence suggests to me that something is very wrong with the firmware in this particular batch of mAPs. At least I hope it is firmware and not hardware, because I would hate to deploy mAPs in the field on which I could never hope to run a successful netinstall in the future.

sputniki
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:54 pm

Hi,

I had similar with my mAP 2n issue after
system package update upgrade
:
Hi

I am having an issue with my newly purchased mAP 2n.
It was working fine for about 2-3 days.

Have tried resetting it using the reset button and also the screwdriver method at the bottom.

When i turn it on, i experience the following :

- No connectivity
- PWR, AP/CAP, Wireless, USR, ETH2 and ETH1 lights come on.
- USR light turns off, then all lights except power go off and then come one again.

Anyone had/having this issue ?
After upgrading the mAP stuck while rebooting with LEDs lighting on: PWR, AP/CAP, Wireless, ETH2, ETH1.
Re-powering instantly showed this LEDs and no communication via mac-telnet or Winbox.

I had to reflash the ROS via NetBoot to get the mAP 2n working again (pressing the RESET-Button until USR-LED got off).

This is no a good sign for future ROS-updates in field... :shock:

macsrwe
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:40 pm

I was told by your support to RMA my four. Unfortunately, two have already been placed (they go like hotcakes) and I believe another is committed. I will RMA the remaining one for you guys to examine.
Last edited by macsrwe on Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

groegs
just joined

Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:12 pm

Is there now any solution for that problem?
I have the same issue. I wanted to update v6.34.4 and now it is also just flashing.

macsrwe
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:21 pm

I found (and submitted in another thread, but unfortunately not this one) that this and similar problems can be caused by using an outdated netinstall. My tendency has been to grab a version of netinstall and use it forever, and this has worked well for me for years... but there have apparently been recent changes in ROS and/or the firmware that make older versions of netinstall fail miserably on newer devices. In all cases when I encounter these problems now, I go back to the well and download the latest netinstall before going any further, and the problems usually disappear.

groegs
just joined

Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:38 pm

yes it worked with the actual Netinstall 6.34.4.
Thanks

nimbo78
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:09 am

well, I have the same problem - blinking leds and cyclic reboots, but I can't see the device in netinstall (6.35.4). Pressing reset till usr and cap leds shut off - does nothin, no map 2n in netinstall at all.
any suggestions plz?)

Decsus
just joined

Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:51 pm

I know this is an old thread, but my question somewhat relates.

Once I give my Map 2nd power the USR and PWR lights come on and stay solid. I cant find a wireless network and the ethernet ports dont work (no lights when I connect a cable or any detection on winbox)

I have tried to get to net install, or to reset the device but no luck.

Any advice?

Regards

macsrwe
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:21 pm

I know this is an old thread, but my question somewhat relates.

Once I give my Map 2nd power the USR and PWR lights come on and stay solid. I cant find a wireless network and the ethernet ports dont work (no lights when I connect a cable or any detection on winbox)

I have tried to get to net install, or to reset the device but no luck.

Any advice?

Regards
If you have a known good netinstall setup that works properly on other MT units, and you can't get the mAP to netinstall after holding its reset button for 20 seconds, given the LED behavior, my guess is that it is toast.

When you hold the reset button down during power on, does it exhibit the correct LED sequence (12 blinks of one LED, then 12 blinks of another LED, then both off), or are they all still frozen? If the latter, then certainly throw it away.