MikroTik App

spaxton
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Suitable hardware for specific network

Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:40 pm

Dear friends,

my subject may be not clear but here is what I need....
Is there any routerboard hardware which can be used for gigabit networking with large amount of file transfers? There should be 24 ports. I will need it soon and it should be installed in a small TV station. Many AVI files will be transfered (sometimes simultaneously). This device should also connect to internet and should be able to route the traffic between two subnets in Gbps. So... is there any routerboard suitable for this? Please help.

Best regards!

Quindor

Re: Suitable hardware for specific network

Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:14 pm

It all depends on how the traffic will be used.

Copying the files to and from several ports can be accomplished with a switch. This would be non-blocking and all ports could be used at the same time without slowdown.

Routing several Gigabits you are looking at a Core Cloud Router, a bit slower but still good enough (it all depends on features and bandwidth) might be a 1100AHx2.

If you wish both (I predict this is the case from what you described) you might want to pair a CCR1009 with a CRS226. You can interlink them with a 10Gbps DAC cable.

This will give you 24Ports in a switch and you can use VLAN's with all the routing taking place on the CCR1009. A very powerful setup capable of easily routing and NAT'ting multiple Gigabits without problem. The 10Gbps DAC cables only cost about ~50 dollars so are a quite cheap way to connect equipment together.

p.s. Depending on your needs to CRS226 might be able to facilitate your subnet/routing needs in hardware. If that is the case and no NAT, filters, queues, etc. are needed, the CRS226 alone might be sufficient.

spaxton
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:43 pm

It all depends on how the traffic will be used.

Copying the files to and from several ports can be accomplished with a switch. This would be non-blocking and all ports could be used at the same time without slowdown.

Routing several Gigabits you are looking at a Core Cloud Router, a bit slower but still good enough (it all depends on features and bandwidth) might be a 1100AHx2.

If you wish both (I predict this is the case from what you described) you might want to pair a CCR1009 with a CRS226. You can interlink them with a 10Gbps DAC cable.

This will give you 24Ports in a switch and you can use VLAN's with all the routing taking place on the CCR1009. A very powerful setup capable of easily routing and NAT'ting multiple Gigabits without problem. The 10Gbps DAC cables only cost about ~50 dollars so are a quite cheap way to connect equipment together.

p.s. Depending on your needs to CRS226 might be able to facilitate your subnet/routing needs in hardware. If that is the case and no NAT, filters, queues, etc. are needed, the CRS226 alone might be sufficient.
Hi,

thanks for reply...

I don't want to rely only on CRS226 because there will be two subnets communicating to each other which means it will need to be routed. NAT, firewall, queue will be only applied for internet and for streaming (unicast video streaming device). Now, the question is... will I get ports from CRS226 in CCR1009 or I have to setup VLAN in CRS226? How exactly they are connected? Can You suggest which SFP modules should I use for this?

And, YES... Can I, BTW, attach an external USB HDD to CCR1009's port in order to use for built in FTP?

Best regards.

Quindor

Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:04 am

No, they will still be two devices, so the ports of the CRS226 will not be visible on the CCR1009.

But if you use VLAN's you can create seperated ports on the CRS226 and then tag them to the uplink to the CCR1009 and it can do the routing (create VLAN interfaces with interfaces in those VLAN's, thus routing interfaces).

I'm talking about such a cable: http://routerboard.com/SplusDA0001 . They can be had up to 5m without much cost and that cables include the SFP+ module on both sides of that price!

spaxton
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:35 am

No, they will still be two devices, so the ports of the CRS226 will not be visible on the CCR1009.

But if you use VLAN's you can create seperated ports on the CRS226 and then tag them to the uplink to the CCR1009 and it can do the routing (create VLAN interfaces with interfaces in those VLAN's, thus routing interfaces).

I'm talking about such a cable: http://routerboard.com/SplusDA0001 . They can be had up to 5m without much cost and that cables include the SFP+ module on both sides of that price!
Hmmm... I am note sure I understand this thing with VLANs completely. I will, for sure, need help from here to make this work. Can i make two bridges in CRS226 and then setup routing in CCR1009? CCR1009 should be default gateway for both subnets. BTW, if You know, please answer me about USB question I asked before. Tomorrow I have to check if my local distributor has stock for this products....

Thanks for reply.
Best regards!

Quindor

Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:40 am

As a very quick explanation.

The CRS226 will create several layer 2 VLAN's which also end up on the CCR1009 using VLAN tags over the 10Gbit port. There you will create several interfaces which have IP addresses and those will be the gateway's to get "out" of those layer 2 VLAN's to another layer 2 VLAN, thus making it a layer 3 (IP) router.

That way the CCR1009 will do all the routing work and the CRS226 will be just a switch. Hopefully that explains better. :)

Be sure to get the CCR1009 with the 10Gbit port! ;)

This setup will also be future proof since the CRS226 has multiple 10Gbit ports and thus you can 'stack' another one on to it. The bandwith between the switches en CCR1009 will always be 'limited' to 10Gbit though. But the whole setup is unbeatable for the price in my opinion!