Community discussions

MikroTik App

Gilley7997
just joined
Topic Author

RB750GL Throughput Question

Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:48 am

I have been looking at this router and also looking at the EdgeRouter LIte.

I think I have decided that I would like to go with the RB750GL because of the additional ports and I believe I would like to segment my network out a little bit, my only concern is the throughput.

Possible Set-up:
Port1 - WAN out to a 100/20 Mbps connection at the moment (This could be upgraded to a 200/50 so definitely don't want to be able to support that)
Port2 - assigned to run my Local LAN with PC's and Backup Servers all connected on a Gigabit Switch
Port3 - assigned and hosting Clients on my Guest Wireless. This will only Route to the Internet will not have connection to anything else.
Port4 - assigned to host a Home Lab with maybe some VM's and other internet accessible machines in it.
Port 5 - unassigned

Not currently planning on using any VLAN's for this as none of the switches I have would support it.

There will be some routing allowed between Port 2 and Port 4, and Possibly Port 3 to 4 and also some Firewall Rules opened up from the Internet to Port 4. Nothing from 4 will be able to get to 3 or 2 though.

My question is can the Router handle this segmentation and the access rules required to maintain it and still support the 1Gbps speeds internally. I know the router won't come into play for any traffic that is on the same subnet, I am mainly concerned about not getting my full internet speed as I add the firewall rules I need and routing information to get between all of this.

Any thought would be appreciated. I looked at the 2001's I just really don't need all those ports. I hope this works out, I think I may have already committed to the RB750GL by putting it on my Christmas list, it may already be in a box under the Christmas tree :D

patrikg
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: RB750GL Throughput Question

Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:39 pm

Why not just read the bottom of this page.
http://routerboard.com/RB750GL

barkas
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: AW: RB750GL Throughput Question

Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:35 pm

The Mt testing is only technically true. A rb750g is capable of gigabit doing purely routing. If you do any sort of useful firewalling, this goes down considerably.
In other words, a erl is much faster. For Internet uplink use the rb750g is fine, but not for internal gigabit firewalling.

Gilley7997
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:00 pm

Why not just read the bottom of this page. http://routerboard.com/RB750GL
I did read the bottom of this page, which is what started to raise my concern, I was looking for feedback from those with practical experience rather than the benchmark tests, I am not sure if I will actually get 25 rules in place, possibly but not sure at this point. Along with the other services I want to turn on, not sure how much this little box can handle.
If you do any sort of useful firewalling, this goes down considerably. In other words, a erl is much faster.
I'm with you one hundred percent here that the EdgeRouter is faster, but I need the ports that the Mikrotik can give me that the EdgeRouter can't. For my specific needs, as I'm not overly concerned about getting 1Gbps across the three different subnets, I just don't want the router to become the bottleneck for my Internet connection, as long as you believe it would still be capable of at least 200Mbps I think I'm okay with it for the modest amount of Firewalling I want to do.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:04 pm

Look at the RB850Gx2

Leto
just joined

Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:34 am

My 750GL does only about ~130 mbps as PPPoE gateway. I'd suggest buying something more powerful.

barkas
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: AW: RB750GL Throughput Question

Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:04 am

Why not just read the bottom of this page. http://routerboard.com/RB750GL
I did read the bottom of this page, which is what started to raise my concern, I was looking for feedback from those with practical experience rather than the benchmark tests, I am not sure if I will actually get 25 rules in place, possibly but not sure at this point. Along with the other services I want to turn on, not sure how much this little box can handle.
If you do any sort of useful firewalling, this goes down considerably. In other words, a erl is much faster.
I'm with you one hundred percent here that the EdgeRouter is faster, but I need the ports that the Mikrotik can give me that the EdgeRouter can't. For my specific needs, as I'm not overly concerned about getting 1Gbps across the three different subnets, I just don't want the router to become the bottleneck for my Internet connection, as long as you believe it would still be capable of at least 200Mbps I think I'm okay with it for the modest amount of Firewalling I want to do.
Edgerouter poe has 5 ports.