Community discussions

MikroTik App

KoDAk
Topic Author

ADSL bridge modem

Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:08 pm

PLEACE
make simple compact ADSL 2+ bridge modem , just to make dsl conect and send it out to rj45

and after use some mikrotik as router (make pppoe\ipoe ) and so on.

peper
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: ADSL bridge modem

Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:31 pm

Agree with you.
It would be nice to have in Mikrotik product line a very small (possibly PoE powered) ADSL bridge box, which can be connected to Eth10 port of my RB2011 (or any other of Routeboards) and work as "on-demand powered on-demand reserve channel".

fallenwrx

Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:41 pm

We use the draytek DV120 as our media converter as it does PPPoA to PPPoE passthrough

KoDAk
Topic Author

Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:40 am

but draytek DV120 it is (~50+$) there is ~20$ cool modem but any way another device need power adapter( space etc.) and can brake some time
so mini ADSL bridge modem made like SFP module or durable box used PoE
it be best !

peper
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:34 pm

I wonder if making SFP ADSL module is technically possible at all?
What was able to find are multiple SFP modules as mediaconverters for fiber lines and some "copper" with RJ45 connectors for direct connetion via ethernet. And no any ADSL...
Can someone knowing clarify this, please?

troffasky

Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:39 pm

I wonder if making SFP ADSL module is technically possible at all?
I would love to be proved wrong, but I don't think it can happen. Look at the size and number of components on a DSL module [Cisco, Juniper, Sonicwall] and I don't think you'd fit all those into an SFP. Maybe it could get into a GBIC but who makes kit with GBIC slots any more?
just to make dsl conect and send it out to rj45
In addition, it would be best if it could be managed from within RouterOS itself, ie see the line parameters and conditions, etc. Oh and it would need to support VDSL as well :-)

jober
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:24 am

YES it is and here it is. VDSL2 pluggable SFP device.

http://www.comnet.net/comnet-products/a ... l-sfp.html

troffasky

Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:07 pm

These must be used in pairs, with a CL-SFP module installed at both ends of the connection, or a CopperLine unit installed at one end.
How many ISPs are going to plug one of these in at their end for you to connect to?

jober
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:37 am

This one! Me, I'm going to plug it in. I have customers that we service with wifi, ethernet and vdsl2 and soon fiber. This would be great for suppling one device in the customers unit that covers all four media types.
Will I actually do...
I did just get a quote for 1000 of them. If I can can a great price I will use them.
But then there's Will MT support it correctly?

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:48 am

i think adsl its an old technology, of course adsl has millions of active users around the world

but the main technology today and for the next years is gpon or any other optic fiber based.

i think its too late to develop hardware for old technologies

i think resources and effort will be focused on the newer tech

jober
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:06 am

Yes fiber is the only thing you should think about with new construction. But there is no way to run fiber in a lot of these old buildings. There is however a lot of copper in these buildings that can handle VDSL2. We can spend a lot less time and money and still give the customers 100mbps up and down over the old wire.
To the point of DSL being old, yes it is, but AT&T U-Verse is delivered over ADSL2+ or VDSL2 and even Bonded VDSL2. Copper is dying the slow death but it it hanging in for now.
Oh, and there isn't anything to develop. There is already a product we can use. I just need to put the two together.