Community discussions

MikroTik App

syadnom
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

*performance* of Metal 9HPn

Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:26 am

there are a couple of 'general info' on the 9HPn, but I really want to know about performance.

so, when comparing to a NanoStationM900, how does the 9HPn do for noise? How well do these two devices compare to each other?

The problem with ubnt 900Mhz gear is that it does lousy with light to moderate noise. There is no comparison between conapy and ubnt in 900Mhz for the most part, unless the environment is SUPER clean the ubnt gear is going to modulate down to canopy speeds anyway.

So, how does an 9HPn do in light to moderate noise? ubnt like, or better?

If it does somewhat better, then I'd be interested in 1 or 2 9HPn on a dual pol ubiquiti sector and yagis for CPE w/ 9HPn.. but I'm not up for an expensive experiment.

jwcn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: *performance* of Metal 9HPn

Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:36 pm

Great question. I just ordered four to replace a Canopy radio. I'll report back.

jwcn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:21 am

So here is my non-lab analysis. I understand that there are plenty of variables here I can't prove to a scientific certainty but this is my experience.

Test tower: 160' with HPOL Last Mile Gear Omni.

Original config: Nanostation Loco M9 utilizing external antenna.

Test customer - no useable signal. Mid -83 to -85

Second config: Canopy 9000APC

Test customer - -74 jitter 5 decent 1x (1.5meg) performance

Third Config: Metal 9HPn connected to same HPOL Omni

Test customer -59 using same yagi antenna at CPE as both Canopy and Ubiquiti

General observations and speed comparisons.

Using a 10mhz channel I had never been able to reliably get over 5megs to customers using Ubiquiti. With dual-pol (read rocket, sectors and dual-pol yagi) I could reliably provide 10megs to customers.

Testing today with HPOL Omni setup, 10mhz channel, NV2 I was getting solid 18megs down by 7-8 up.

I have thus far been pleasantly surprised.

mapunda

Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:22 pm

What is the distance from metal 9HPn AP to client? Is it clear line of sight? Which yagi antenna you are using in client side. Could you name the omni antenna used?

syadnom
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:47 pm

I've been considering a RocketM900+ubiquiti yagi in PTP cause I have one stubborn tree, but ubnt isn't known for good 900Mhz :/

see my image attached. How does this compare to your link? Do you think I can pull 20Mbps with the 9Hn? The image is a little deceptive, it's a bit higher but google earth likes to sink the rm links into the ground a bit. If this were 5Ghz, it would be a 100% perfect fresnel zone except for that one 'The giant tree'.
capture_path1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jwcn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:36 am

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

thomasa1980
just joined

Tue May 12, 2015 4:07 pm

the link to the omni is broke and would you really get 3 miles out of that? I'm impressed if you do.