Community discussions

MikroTik App

giannakoz
just joined
Topic Author

Help in choosing the right equipment for vdsl bandwidth management with multiple users.

Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:19 am

Hello MikroTik gurus.

*for those who don't like reading, a diagram of my thoughts is included. Nevertheless some details aren't illustrated.

I'll try not to exhaust you so i' ll get straight to the point.
My isp provider can now offer me a vdsl connection with 50Mbps down and 5 Mbps up.
I have in the same building an office, a home and 10 studios for B.Sc. Students (renting).
I would like to share my internets bandwidth equally and not just limit each ethernet port e.g. 3Mbps down..
More specifically i would like to have 40% of my internets speed in office and home and the rest 60% for the students.
Well the point is that not all students are logged in the same time, so for those 30Mbps down i would like e.g. if two students are logged in each one get 15 Mbps, if four 7,5 ...

Right now i have installed from a central point until each studio ftp cat 6 cable terminated with male rj45 and connected to a RouterBOARD 951 2n (with power over ethernet).
That is done because each student may prefer to use at the same time a laptop and a smart phone so if i restricted the bandwidth by device someone who would use two or more devices would “draw” more bandwidth than someone who just used a laptop. Another reason is because i would like each student use his/her own wifi. e.g. studio1.1, studio1.2, studio2.1...

I have already bought 10 RouterBOARD 951 2n and one Rb2011UiAS-2HnD-IN

What device (blue box in diagram with name “MikroTik”) should i buy in order to support my needs + (magenta box with name “Homelan+wifi”)

**if device “MikroTik” has poe in each port it will be a well come feature, if not no problem,no need for this device to have wifi.

Sorry if i tired you.. and for my bad English...

thanks in advance, John
mikrotik.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Quindor

Re: Help in choosing the right equipment for vdsl bandwidth management with multiple users.

Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:57 am

I think you did pretty well in explaining what you want to build and the drawing helps a lot!

What you are trying to do is certainly possible with Routerboards/Mikrotik. Your question is which Routerboard to get to use at the blue spot.

Since it's going to see the most cables connected I recommend getting a CRS125-24G-1S-IN. That should do perfectly well as your switch, and since your bandwith requirements are actually quite low (Max 50Mbit from Internet, not much internal traffic?) it will also be more then sufficient for using it as your main Router/NAT/DNS/DHCP, etc.

If in the future your bandwith raises above ~120Mbit for instance, you might need to buy an additional Routerboard to do the Routing and NAT, but you would be able to keep the CRS125 as you switch.

In the CRS125-24G-1S-IN you would define a lot of Subnets and DHCP servers to create separated LAN's per port. You would then use firewall rules to make sure the different subnets cannot connect to each other. You would then need to configure the studio Routerboards to route all the traffic to the main Routerboard. Make sure you avoid a "Double NAT" situation, one place should do the NAT and if you have only 1 IP it should be the CRS125-24G-1S-IN.

(If would have multiple Public IP's it would be better, but I suspect that is probably not the case)

Ok, that should make it work. Since you already seem to have quite a bit of Routerboards, I'm thinking you might know how to configure it?

giannakoz
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Help in choosing the right equipment for vdsl bandwidth management with multiple users.

Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:31 pm

@Quindor thank you for your reply.

I have never performed any configuration on any RouterBoard. My best friend who is now at Zambia for work did all the programming. I only did the dirty work digging, drilling, passing the cables etc. If he can't help me online i will find a member from this forum to do the programming (with payment of course).

Our expectation is FTTH internet with maximum speed 100Mbps down / 100 Mbps up in the next 2-3 years. Very low internal traffic (basically only for the office)

I thought that i 'd need something like RB1100AHx2 but if CRS125-24G-1S-IN does the job i am fine.

*does anyone know if mikrotik has a product like this http://www.amazon.com/WS-POE-8-ENC-Mult ... B0075F7F2O

Quindor

Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:35 pm

@Quindor thank you for your reply.

I have never performed any configuration on any RouterBoard. My best friend who is now at Zambia for work did all the programming. I only did the dirty work digging, drilling, passing the cables etc. If he can't help me online i will find a member from this forum to do the programming (with payment of course).

Our expectation is FTTH internet with maximum speed 100Mbps down / 100 Mbps up in the next 2-3 years. Very low internal traffic (basically only for the office)

I thought that i 'd need something like RB1100AHx2 but if CRS125-24G-1S-IN does the job i am fine.

*does anyone know if mikrotik has a product like this http://www.amazon.com/WS-POE-8-ENC-Mult ... B0075F7F2O
Sure, no problem.

100Mbit Full-Duplex is borderline ok with the CPU. It depends on usage and rules you are going to use. For simple rules it should work ok. If the switch CPU won't be fast enough you might need to add a better router (faster CPU) but you will still need the switch, so no loss whatever happens in the future.

Mikrotik does not have big POE injectors as you linked. The best thing to compare it to is the newly launched PowerBox I think. That would limit your links to 100Mbit though, might not be a problem in your case.

giannakoz
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:50 pm

Thank you very much for your assistance.
By the end of the next week i' ll contact with my ISP provider so ....
Expect some very beginners questions if my friend could not help me.

*185 euro for CRS125-24G-1S-IN i believe is a decent price.

Thank you again for your help.

:wink: