just joined
Topic Author

memory in 850gx2?

Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:39 pm

My 850 says in system resource:
total-memory: 469.9MiB

and via snmp I get:

hrStorageSize.65536 = INTEGER: 481172

I've looked for "total-memory" on the forum and most people's values seem rather rounder numbers than this in MiB.

Is my 850 ok? I think I was expecting to see something more like the hdd space value:

total-hdd-space: 512.0MiB

Quindor

Re: memory in 850gx2?

Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:01 am

I think you might be comparing two different statistics. RAM and ROM.

I don't know how much ROM the device has (can be different, from 128MB/MiB to 512MB/MiB). This is your storage space to keep log files, routerOS versions, etc.

Then you have your RAM, it is the memory the device uses. You use it depending on what features are activated and how big certain tables are in your memory.

From what you are writing, all seems well and you have more then plenty of space left!

ghira
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:35 am

I think you might be comparing two different statistics. RAM and ROM.

I don't know how much ROM the device has (can be different, from 128MB/MiB to 512MB/MiB). This is your storage space to keep log files, routerOS versions, etc.

Then you have your RAM, it is the memory the device uses. You use it depending on what features are activated and how big certain tables are in your memory.

From what you are writing, all seems well and you have more then plenty of space left!
Well I cited the size of the flash because it was a "nice" number, namely 512MiB.

I was expecting the total (not free) amount of memory to be a similarly nice number. Looking in other
forum posts I find people with e.g. 128MiB total memory, which is also a nice round number.

In system/resources I find:
Free Memory 254.7 MiB
Total Memory 469.9 MiB

and for comparison

Free HDD Space 425.7 MiB
Total HDD Size 512.0 MiB
(so total hdd size is a nice number)

I hadn't looked at this until I was about to start graphing the free memory and the "total memory" value here seems odd. I initially thought maybe it doesn't include memory occupied by the boot image in that but as I said forum postings I've seen with "total memory" in them have round numbers (in binary at least).

If part of my RAM were defective I wouldn't have thought the thing would boot at all.

I am using spare RAM as web cache (I tried using microsd for that but the cpu went to 100%
and everything was unusably slow) so I expect to be using most of it for that most of the time.

http://routerboard.com/RB850Gx2

says:

Size of RAM 512 MB

Is everything ok with my 850? Why do other postings show round "total memory" values if so?
(My guess if my 850 is ok: different architecture for some reason counts total memory as that not occupied by boot image or some such thing)

barkas
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

AW: memory in 850gx2?

Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:12 am

No, he's right, I noticed that on mine too. I would expect the rest to be reserved for some internal use by the hardware.

ghira
just joined
Topic Author

Re: AW: memory in 850gx2?

Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:31 pm

No, he's right, I noticed that on mine too. I would expect the rest to be reserved for some internal use by the hardware.
Maybe if I either disable some packages, or upgrade, that would change the value. I guess that's worth trying. I don' t see that I need ppp, mpls or hotspot.

ghira
just joined
Topic Author

Re: AW: memory in 850gx2?

Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:13 am

Maybe if I either disable some packages, or upgrade, that would change the value. I guess that's worth trying. I don' t see that I need ppp, mpls or hotspot.
disabling those three packages and rebooting made no difference at all

SeaburyNorton
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:37 pm

I have a similar reading as well on my 850gx2...

Free memory: 446.9
Total memory: 469.8

It would be nice to know if this was a normal thing. I was also expecting to see 512MB in "total" memory. A few years back, I owned an RB450G that actually had a total memory reading of MORE than was specified. I remember it was coming up with an odd number like 284MB and one of my techs exclaimed, "Oh, we lucked out on this board."

I wasn't so sure. :lol: