Community discussions

MikroTik App

teletel
just joined
Topic Author

Can i use all ports in CCR1009-8G-1S-1S+ for routing ?

Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:08 pm

eight Gigabit Ethernet ports (Ether1-4 are in a Switch group) is the description for CCR1009-8G-1S-1S+

can i delete this switch and use all 8 ports to connect to 8 different subnets with different ip addresses ?

Clbh
just joined

Re: Can i use all ports in CCR1009-8G-1S-1S+ for routing ?

Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:11 pm

eight Gigabit Ethernet ports (Ether1-4 are in a Switch group) is the description for CCR1009-8G-1S-1S+

can i delete this switch and use all 8 ports to connect to 8 different subnets with different ip addresses ?
Yep.

Ports 1-4 will appear as normal ethernet interfaces in RouterOS (i.e. as if they were directly connected to the CPU). This is even though they are actually ports on the bundled internal switch (an Atheros 8327 from memory), on which the CPU is also connected. They can optionally be bundled into a logical L2 switch using the master-port property on the ethernet ports.

See this wiki page for more information:
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Sw ... p_Features

It's important to note an important caveat here, in that the total aggregate bandwidth between ports 1-4 and the CPU will be limited by the speed of the CPU port on the Atheros 8327. This link might be 1Gbps or 2Gbps (I'm not sure which), but it will certainly be less than 4Gbps (which is the total theoretical throughput that could be achieved if ports 1-4 were direct-to-CPU ports).

In other words, put your less important links on ports 1-4, and more important links on ports 5-8 :D

PeterFalken
just joined

Re: Can i use all ports in CCR1009-8G-1S-1S+ for routing ?

Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:37 pm

By default the switch is not configured - all ports are independent.
But as Clbh states, port 1-4 share a connection to the CPU which will limit the total available routing bandwidth/throughput for these ports.

Yep.

Ports 1-4 will appear as normal ethernet interfaces in RouterOS (i.e. as if they were directly connected to the CPU). This is even though they are actually ports on the bundled internal switch (an Atheros 8327 from memory), on which the CPU is also connected. They can optionally be bundled into a logical L2 switch using the master-port property on the ethernet ports.

See this wiki page for more information:
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Sw ... p_Features

It's important to note an important caveat here, in that the total aggregate bandwidth between ports 1-4 and the CPU will be limited by the speed of the CPU port on the Atheros 8327. This link might be 1Gbps or 2Gbps (I'm not sure which), but it will certainly be less than 4Gbps (which is the total theoretical throughput that could be achieved if ports 1-4 were direct-to-CPU ports).

In other words, put your less important links on ports 1-4, and more important links on ports 5-8 :D