Community discussions

MikroTik App

dsimic
just joined
Topic Author

RB14e screw size

Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:03 am

Hello everyone!

I've received no mounting screws either with the RB14e adapter boards or R11e-2HPnD Mini PCIe cards I've recently purchased, so I wonder what size are the screws for securing Mini PCIe cards to RB14e? I've tried some M2 screws I had around, but they didn't fit. Out of curiosity, why there are no screws delivered with the RB14e adapter boards, as one needs those to put everything together?

Any help would be highly appreciated!

dsimic
just joined
Topic Author

Re: RB14e screw size

Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:46 pm

Anyone, pretty please?

w32pamela
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:33 pm

The screws are usually included with the hardware that has the mini-pcie socket. I recently had to find a screw for a mini-pcie on a computer motherboard and an M2 ended up being what the motherboard took.

dsimic
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:13 am

True that, but no screws were included with the RB14e boards, which have Mini PCIe slots on them. I'd really need to know what screws are required so I can order them on eBay or somewhere else online, as the somewhat standard-for-that-purpose M2 screws don't seem to fit the RB14e boards.

w32pamela
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:17 pm

I've attached a JPG of the package MT included with some recently purchased RB912 boards. The screw is M2 for both the full size mini-pcie card and this add-on post for 1/2 size cards.

I would have expected the screws to be included for RB14e cards also. Maybe an email to sales@mikrotik.com asking about the screw size on the RB14e boards would get an answer or even let you know if they should have been included.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dsimic
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:47 pm

Thank you so much for the picture!

Please have a look at a picture of the RB14e boards I've bought, https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... p_view.jpg , which shows some weird-looking covers/caps placed over the mounting studs. I really wonder why those caps are there, maybe to prevent hollow studs from acting as some kind of antennas? Furthermore, those mounting studs seem to be soldered and non-removable.

I had some M2 screws from a laptop's screw set, and I've tried them but they don't thread into the RB14e's mounting studs. I've even verified that those are M2 screws, by looking into the hardware maintenance manual for the laptop, and they're listed as M2 screws. Hm? I really don't know if there are both fine- and coarse-thread variants of the M2 screw?

Does anyone from the MikroTik support visit this forum? Back at the time when I was more active in the MikroTik sphere, getting official support on this forum used to be rather easy.

w32pamela
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:30 pm

The studs need to soldered. The studs on my RB912 also have the tin foil cap. My screws are definitely M2's . I've got a bunch of them from laptop CD drive installations. I don't know the thread count.

dsimic
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:47 pm

Hm, everything points to using M2 screws for the RB14e as well. Thank you for all your input, I'll try again with some other M2 screws and report back.

dsimic
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:25 am

Are the mounting studs in the picture you've provided supposed to be soldered by end users? I'm finding it rather hard to believe that's the case; those studs are more likely supposed to be fastened to the PCB using another set of screws just as it's the case on, for example, computer motherboards offering mounting positions for both full- and half-length Mini PCIe cards.

w32pamela
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:51 pm

No additional screws were provided and the threads cut from the top do not go all the way through. Everything makes it look like it is intended to be soldered on my 912's.

dsimic
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:13 am

That's quite strange... Why should end users be expected to have proper equipment and required skills to do some soldering? That could also easily void the warranty.