Community discussions

MikroTik App

dancuofzhills
Topic Author

Clock Resets Constantly

Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:23 am

On all my routerboard and wrap mikrotik systems the clock resets to Jan 1st 2000 on every reboot, i am constantly setting the clock hoping that it will keep time. Ive also set up the systems as a NTP client, and set one of my PC based MT systems at my office as the server. The NTP server works for devices that ive tested it with, but my routerboards dont set their time to match the ntp server(im not actually sure if NTP is even supposed to set the date, or just the time).
I also have 12 PC based mikrotik systems, they do not lose the time or date. its almost like the router/wrap boards need a cmos battery replacement, but theres not an obvious one on the device.
Anyone else run into this? Any suggestions?

GotNet

Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:52 am

Can't speak for wrap but I'm not aware of any RB that has a cmos clock.

On my RBs that I care to set the time, I apply NTP client. Mostly I could care less what time the APs or clients are at... We do work with UTC +-0 when required. NTP does set date and time. Use a public NTP pool that resolves a different IP every boot. Don't want to make headlines! (Netgear?)

Mike

dancuofzhills
Topic Author

Because...

Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:13 pm

The only reason i care about the time is because i have them run an automatic backup script that labels the file with the date and time. The other reason is because it makes the syslog almost useless :(
I will keep playing with the NTP and see if i cna get that working.
Thanks.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:19 am

there is no battery on these boards, so clock can't be kept after power reset. therefore you must use the NTP client to synchronise with a time server