MikroTik App

solelunauno
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

A different approach to MIMO systems

Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:15 pm

Hi,
in past I searched everywhere, finding nothing about the usage of MIMO systems with different antennas connected to the two (or more) chains.
But, as I am electronic enginner as well as wisp, I thought that more than one antenna on different chains would behave as they are connected to one single radio with antenna splitter (as in television broadcast TX systems): a complex radiation pattern with one single channel used.
I tested it now in more than 4-5 public installations with lot of success: using one single 2,4 Ghz with two sector antennas allows create "front and rear" and "180° sector" coverages without troubles deriving from nearby radio interfaces on two different channels fighting among them with mutual interferences.
I reached 50 wifi users on the same basebox ap in a site similar to picture I attached, all surfing web happily!
I make this post to help anyone would search infomation about MIMO used this way.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bajodel
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: A different approach to MIMO systems

Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:14 pm

Please, tell me the sector antenna brand/model ..tnx

solelunauno
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:56 pm

I's a common 90° Sector with N connector.

n21roadie
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:12 pm

Hi,
in past I searched everywhere, finding nothing about the usage of MIMO systems with different antennas connected to the two (or more) chains.
But, as I am electronic enginner as well as wisp, I thought that more than one antenna on different chains would behave as they are connected to one single radio with antenna splitter (as in television broadcast TX systems): a complex radiation pattern with one single channel used.
I tested it now in more than 4-5 public installations with lot of success: using one single 2,4 Ghz with two sector antennas allows create "front and rear" and "180° sector" coverages without troubles deriving from nearby radio interfaces on two different channels fighting among them with mutual interferences.
I reached 50 wifi users on the same basebox ap in a site similar to picture I attached, all surfing web happily!
I make this post to help anyone would search infomation about MIMO used this way.
Well done but I must add television ( and Radio ) broadcast TX systems are always in transmit mode and not like wireless internet which is a two communication (Tx/Rx) anyway what is the max throughput before proximity interference takes effect?

bajodel
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:47 pm

I realized that ..I asked for brand/model (I need a small black sector on 2,4Ghz, and you have it :D )

solelunauno
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:07 pm

The sectors you see in my picture came from here:
http://www.sicetelecom.it/prodotti/ante ... nna-2-4ghz
But I bought a lot of the black ones two years ago to install public hotspots (so I have lot of experience in proximity interference between radio lans on different channels installed very close), and I still have some new pieces (about 7-8).
Now I see there are white ones on sicetelecom, so I think they changed something, but antennas are electrically the same.
If you bajodel were in Italy I could sel you one or two of mines, but I tought they are simple to find everywere!
The problem of wifi bidirectional communication is not an obstacle in using MIMO the way I explained: you can consider the two (or three) antennas are they were complete wifi aps on the same channel syncronized by GPS: they transimit and receive at the same times, the same packets, without intereference among them.
Clients would accept only usefull packets for them and discard the others.
It's the same of a omni antenna, but with the advantage to concentrate coverage only in more interesting zones and to avoid interferences from (for example) internal home access points, etc.
Nowadays in real public applications the mere bandwidth throughput is only a secondary problem: before you have to fight against interferences and to confine coverages only in real useful zones, reducing at minimum signal lost (and receive sensibility) towards other people's external access points or home access points.
You can't do anything with a omni or a sector mimo N AP that is completely flooded by 20-30 nearby access points, all on the same 3 separate channels of 2,4Ghz!
I realized that ..I asked for brand/model (I need a small black sector on 2,4Ghz, and you have it :D )

solelunauno
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:04 pm

Here I attached a beautiful spectral-scan taken from a RB435G AP with two radio card (R52n-M) set @ only 14dBm and used as common with one sector each other and two different channels in two different directions.
One card (wlan2) is @ 2422MHz (because this was the best channel found) and there is a client connected watching youtube (of course!), and the other (wlan1) is used to do spectral-scan from Dude.
As you can see,
n21roadie
, you have a -65dBm Rx noise from the 2422 busy channel until 2453MHz and -75 until about 2463Mhz, so the second radio (wlan1) would be completely "deaf" also if setted @ 2462MHz (ch 11) beacause mobile devices rarely give more than -70dBm Rx on puplic APs outside placed.
As you can see, @ 2470MHz there are other analog services, so even channel 13, that in Italy is legal use, can be used with success.
So, do you think this situation is better than use one single R52n-M set @ 2422 and connected to two single polarity sectors one for each chain?
In my experience this puplic AP (as others I installed in past) never gave great service from wlan1 (in two years), so definitely I'll go there and remove one R52n-M, leaving both sectors connected to remain single card and solve the problem!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.