MikroTik App

rtacheny
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

DynaDish Ground Earth

Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:13 pm

Hello everybody!

Just got my first Dyna Dishes in, excited to start deploying them! However, one concern I have is there is no obvious ground/earth. Does Mikrotik expect the bolts to discharge through the painted bracket? Or should I be attaching a ground wire to the bolts on the radio? Will this even ground the radio? I sound stupid right now... :( Any insight to this would be much appreciated.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: DynaDish Ground Earth

Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:52 pm

Yes, QRT has a grounding screw, but the DynaDish doesn't. You can ground it by using a shielded cable, and then soldering a wire to the shielded ethernet connector on the DynaDish side. The connector has metallic parts that are connected to the PCB.

KillerOPS
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:01 pm

I would say it is very important to ground the dynadish this way, because it is only a matter of time until it will die if left unconnected to ground. Mine died, but it got replaced. Thank you, mikrotik ^_^
Now the ethernet cable shield is grounded at the antenna screws, too. Before, it was only at the bottom of the mast.

Suggestion for mikrotik: do something about this in the next batches, I suspect a lot of customers are not paying too much attention to grounding. Something that connects the screws with the pcb ground would be enough. Also, big up for the 3 nuts included in the package. When I was on the mast, I already lost one, so the 3rd one was exactly what I needed at the time :)

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:51 pm

Such a product preferably should have some separate connector terminal a little more sturdy than the shield of the RJ45 to connect a ground wire locally connected to the mast.
(e.g. a faston tab)
"grounding" is better called "equipotential bonding" and should be done as locally as possible, not at the far end of an ethernet cable.

Mikebora
just joined

Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:39 am

How did you do the grounding i was reading that if i use shielded cable dish want power on