Community discussions

MikroTik App

myintmosoe
just joined
Topic Author

Mikrotik VS Ubiquity

Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:14 am

Dear Mikrotik Team,

I have some problem which make me confuse please help me , i have following device
(Ubiquity Rocket M5 with Omni 5GHz 13dbi Wireless Access Point ) on my office and i want to distribute my internet connection to neighbor .
That Ubiquity AP will be Access Point mode in mikrotik will be in client station mode ,currently i have Mikroti RB951G-2Hnd but when i scan from my Mikrotik i can't see SSID radio name from Ubiquity because i guess the mikrotik not support 5GHz frequency .
So i would like to know what kind of mikrotik brand will be support in this current situation .

Thanks & Regards,
Myint Mo

lucky79
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Mikrotik VS Ubiquity

Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:38 am

Probably an RBSXT5nDr2.. You need to turn AirMax off on the Rocket as it will not work with MikroTik client. However its better to use same brand for AP and client as both UBNT and MikroTik uses their proprietary TDMA protocol and if you combine, those protocols must be disabled. For outdoor use its generally better to have them enabled, but for a single client it could work fine without TDMA.

myintmosoe
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:39 pm

Thanks your for your quick response , your answer is make sense but actually i have 18 units of RB951G-2Hnd mikrotik brand , how to fix to work with 5GHz network ( it's not for very far away outdoor Point to Point connection ) any other way like putting additional wireless card on it ?

Probably an RBSXT5nDr2.. You need to turn AirMax off on the Rocket as it will not work with MikroTik client. However its better to use same brand for AP and client as both UBNT and MikroTik uses their proprietary TDMA protocol and if you combine, those protocols must be disabled. For outdoor use its generally better to have them enabled, but for a single client it could work fine without TDMA.

lucky79
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:05 pm

Thanks your for your quick response , your answer is make sense but actually i have 18 units of RB951G-2Hnd mikrotik brand , how to fix to work with 5GHz network ( it's not for very far away outdoor Point to Point connection ) any other way like putting additional wireless card on it ?
There is no way installing 5GHz card in this device as it does not have free slot. If you want to use them, you will have to make the AP in 2,4GHz :) And if you are going to connect 18 clients on the AP and all will be mikrotiks, I highly suggest to use also MikroTik for the AP and enable NV2 protocol.

Anyway those devices have low gain built in antennas and its not good choice for connecting to outdoor AP, these devices are indoor APs, not outdoor clients...

If those devices would have free slot, the wireless card and antenna will cost you more than the SXT device. So go and buy SXTs as wireless clients and use these as indoor AP.
As I said, if more than 1 device will connect to your AP, better to use mikrotik AP with NV2 (TDMA protocol) as this will fix the "hidden node" problem.