Community discussions

MikroTik App

lucky79
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: What is wrong with nv2?

Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:03 pm

It's not that I complain on wireless capabilities of mikrotik gear. It's kind of observation I made. About year ago after I got dissapointed by 802.11ac support from mikrotik I decided to use other producer equipment. The other one that gave me so much enjoyment to work with. But lately I was forced to upgrade some older links, and gave mikrotik one shot more.
Dynadish 802.11ac met my expectations. I was very happy to see nicely working ptp on new software 6.30.4. after few weeks I decided to upgrade other AP, mostly omnitiks. and here we are, what is wrong with.... multipoint mode?? It's a disaster! after day or two it eventually stops passing traffic to clients. neither auto nor 2ms mode helped. Omnitik AP, 12 apc connected, subscribers up to 16mbps, wireless data rate 39-78-90 some with dual polarization even 180mbps.
on the client side speedtest.net shows...3mbps and significant loss of packets. jitter is over reasonable range.
channel under spectral scan is totally clear.
AC is not as good as I would expect. Either PTP or PTMP. I have one mixed N/AC PTMP with SXTac SA as an AP and dont have any single issue with it, there is just 5 clients though...
Your rates doesn't seems to prove you have clear channel, sorry. Also mixing SISO and MIMO clients is not good practice.

Btw. I did have one OmniTik in my network, but would not recommend it. Antenna gain is too low and after 2 years I had issues with signals on one polarization so I guess the antenna started to fail. Replaced with 13dB OMNI from U***, put 711GA on it in metal box from RFelements and all works well.

Zorro
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:05 pm

nv2 appears to be less perfect candidate for "multi-point" setups and for cases of saturated spectrum and signal power density.
its remain excellent choice for narrow-directional(dishes, yagi, etc) bridges, especially longer ones, for backhaul and etc.
just my opinion, others may had different.
can't guess why. maybe lack of csma dealing with saturated medium ? ie tdma isn't good enough?

marekm

Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:45 pm

Seeing less than perfect results with nv2+ptmp+ac setup here, too. Some packet loss and changing Tx rates (from 6 to 173), despite strong signals and clean licensed 6 GHz spectrum. I suspect the AC radios are too sensitive to strong interference signals even very far in frequency from the used channel (about 500 MHz difference in my case). The relay site in question has a Mikrotik 6 GHz ac uplink, and RocketM5 sector 5 GHz AP on the same mast - simply powering down the RocketM5 (sending beacons, not real traffic yet) increases Btest results by about 10-20%.

ckgth
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:39 pm

Hi,

we have an NV2 P2P Link with 100/100% CCQ on 40Mht 2S/SGI , but when i make an BWtest with 2 CCRs bihind the Antennas of the link, then result is 20-30 Mbit with max 1 TCP Connection and 100Mbit/s with 20 TCP Connections.
What can be wrong? With UDP is also 100 Mbit/s possible.
Antennas are SXT5 LITE5.
Of course, 100%CPU on SXT is made when i make the bwtest, but why are more Speed on more Connections?

Spectrum is perfectly clear. Antennas has perfect conditions....

christian

bclewl1ns
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:51 am

I have complained about NV2 problems as much as anyone. I have notices however some improvement when using the wireless-cm package. You need to disable it from using cap and you push button authentication but i am seeing more stability and better tcp speeds. However The biggest issue i still see is actual throughput. On 802.11 and Routers 6.33 I do see fantastic speeds under 802.11(They did a update to the wireless-cm2 package. I don't understand why they can't bring these improvements to NV2.

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:12 am

I have complained about NV2 problems as much as anyone. I have notices however some improvement when using the wireless-cm package. You need to disable it from using cap and you push button authentication but i am seeing more stability and better tcp speeds. However The biggest issue i still see is actual throughput. On 802.11 and Routers 6.33 I do see fantastic speeds under 802.11(They did a update to the wireless-cm2 package. I don't understand why they can't bring these improvements to NV2.
I guess it is a HW limitation. The CPU is to weak to handle nv2 at higher data rates and higher number of cpes. Plain 802.11 is handled by the wireless part of the chipset. This wifi chipsets are not designed with a TDMA protocol in mind. For a chipmanufacterer like Atheros the numbers selled to WISP-Industry are neglectable compared to Laptop/PC Market. So MT would have to do some work at HW-Level to improve this. They still did not take this plunge (You have to spend a lot of money to do chipdesign) with the risk loosing the wireless part of their wisp business. For me it looks like they wait until Atheros delivers something better suited.

nkourtzis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:33 pm

I guess it is a HW limitation. The CPU is to weak to handle nv2 at higher data rates and higher number of cpes. Plain 802.11 is handled by the wireless part of the chipset. This wifi chipsets are not designed with a TDMA protocol in mind. For a chipmanufacterer like Atheros the numbers selled to WISP-Industry are neglectable compared to Laptop/PC Market. So MT would have to do some work at HW-Level to improve this. They still did not take this plunge (You have to spend a lot of money to do chipdesign) with the risk loosing the wireless part of their wisp business. For me it looks like they wait until Atheros delivers something better suited.
I suppose Mikrotik (and us, its customers) are paying the price of being a small company, operating in a smaller country. No easy access to big capital, no easy access to advanced hardware design know-how, no easy access to highly specialized engineering teams (such as the one from Motorola that designed the top-notch proprietary gear of a well-known competitor) and almost no access to chip foundries. Since they cannot design and build their own silicon, they are forced to accept the inherent limitations of whatever they can find in the market and try as much as they can to alleviate these shortcomings in software, that is, inefficiently.

Their strong advantage is what they fully control: routing software. So they are naturally focussing on this and also in the SOHO market, which is big but with less requirements. For now it seems they have lost the WISP game (at least the wireless part of it) for good. Too bad I have invested in their gear because of NV2...

marekm

Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:16 pm

I've just reconfigured my PtMP setup from nv2 to plain 802.11ac, and it seems to work better now (tried nstreme too, but it also had issues like disconnecting frequently). Strangely enough, btest tcp results with nv2 seem significantly better than real speedtest.net results (that's what customers care about) - what's that, detecting when it's being tested like VW TDI cars? ;)

But, don't the AC radios have their own separate CPU and firmware to offload the main CPU (unlike N radios)? Perhaps the TDMA protocol could take advantage of it, possibly at the cost of backwards compatibility with older radios? My setup is all new AC radios in clean 6GHz licensed spectrum (out of necessity, as 5GHz is already saturated), so why not make a new TDMA protocol specifically for AC radios if abandoning backwards compatibility helps make it work better.

Zorro
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:21 am

so far SFQ with reduced refresh timeout(1-2 sec ~)helps with NV2 issues, sometimes.

andressis2k
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:49 pm

I've just reconfigured my PtMP setup from nv2 to plain 802.11ac, and it seems to work better now (tried nstreme too, but it also had issues like disconnecting frequently). Strangely enough, btest tcp results with nv2 seem significantly better than real speedtest.net results (that's what customers care about) - what's that, detecting when it's being tested like VW TDI cars? ;)

But, don't the AC radios have their own separate CPU and firmware to offload the main CPU (unlike N radios)? Perhaps the TDMA protocol could take advantage of it, possibly at the cost of backwards compatibility with older radios? My setup is all new AC radios in clean 6GHz licensed spectrum (out of necessity, as 5GHz is already saturated), so why not make a new TDMA protocol specifically for AC radios if abandoning backwards compatibility helps make it work better.
When you run btest, you're probably running several simultaneous TCP flow. When you run speedtest, just one stream is used, and results are lower

InoX
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:58 pm

One of the key differences that accounts for this is that the Ookla/Speedtest tools utilize multiple TCP connections to collect the measurement data which is key to avoiding the receive window limitation

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:17 pm

When you run btest, you're probably running several simultaneous TCP flow. When you run speedtest, just one stream is used, and results are lower
speedtest.net uses up to 4 streams. This is what we use with btest and this matches with what customers see. Our goal is to show 80-100MBit/s to customers when they do a speedtest. They do not need this speeds but they want to see this to consider us a good working ISP.

AC Radios do not have supporting CPUs to do TDMA. MT has to use the Atheros CPU of the chipset. There are Vendors who do HW-Modifikations to offload the CPU or to add GPS. This is what MT has to do to compete in WISP market. For home/indoor AP use this is not neccesary as this is plain 802.11.

marekm

Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:59 pm

AC Radios do not have supporting CPUs to do TDMA. MT has to use the Atheros CPU of the chipset. There are Vendors who do HW-Modifikations to offload the CPU or to add GPS. This is what MT has to do to compete in WISP market. For home/indoor AP use this is not neccesary as this is plain 802.11.
Well, but:
- UBNT M5 radios (ath9k) can do TDMA without an extra CPU, and while not perfect, they work reasonably well (except GPS which doesn't)
- AC radios (ath10k) do have an extra CPU running separate wireless firmware, perhaps that firmware could be modified to help TDMA on these radios

I've been running mostly UBNT M5 radios so far, but as 5GHz is getting crowded (too many competitors in the area), and UBNT are getting too paranoid about regulatory issues (limiting channels, forcing DFS etc.), so I decided to give MT AC a try for the new licensed 6GHz channels I've just got. And now I'm not convinced it was a good idea - MT, please prove me wrong by improving TDMA on AC radios.

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:33 pm

Well, but:
- UBNT M5 radios (ath9k) can do TDMA without an extra CPU, and while not perfect, they work reasonably well (except GPS which doesn't)
- AC radios (ath10k) do have an extra CPU running separate wireless firmware, perhaps that firmware could be modified to help TDMA on these radios

I've been running mostly UBNT M5 radios so far, but as 5GHz is getting crowded (too many competitors in the area), and UBNT are getting too paranoid about regulatory issues (limiting channels, forcing DFS etc.), so I decided to give MT AC a try for the new licensed 6GHz channels I've just got. And now I'm not convinced it was a good idea - MT, please prove me wrong by improving TDMA on AC radios.
M5 are outdated now. Very interesting that UBNT tries to follow rules now. They are growing up. These rules make sense in many cases. Following their NEXT they recognized the "getting crowded" problem and try to address this. With using 6GHz you will be limited with usable gear.