Community discussions

MikroTik App

ShaunEng
just joined
Topic Author

VTP and VLAN's through wireless link

Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:43 pm

Hi Guys,

I've searched the forum but did not come across anything concrete that I understand. :)

I'm from South Africa and I'm new to wireless and need some help.

At our customer, we have a high site with 3 sectors and we want to connect a building with a Groove to the one sector. BUT, we would like to have VTP and VLAN's working because we use Cisco VOIP here and would also like to have the cisco switch update the VTP DB from our core.

Anyway. Here is the setup:

Network (Cisco) - High site (Sector in AP Bridge) - [wireless] - Building (Groove in Station-Bridge) - Cisco switch

Any suggestion on getting the VLAN's to work over the wireless link without any config on the high site if possible?

I've read up on it a bit and I'm getting confused as to if the term "bridge" means it can pass VLAN's ect.

Thanks
Shaun

scampbell
Trainer
Trainer

Re: VTP and VLAN's through wireless link

Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:13 pm

If all the wireless equipment is Mikrotik and it is AP/Bridge-> Station-Bridge with all ethernet's bridged to wlan then VLAN's will pass.

You can use the Torch Tool to check this at each router. Be sure to tick all the options and set the time to 30 seconds before running torch.

There is an issue with Priority tags though as these do not pass through the bridge - a mangle rule with action "set priority" is required to pass priority correctly.

DSCP will pass OK though.

Recommended reading :- http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:WMM and http://mum.mikrotik.com/presentations/US13/lutz.pdf

ShaunEng
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:43 pm

Thanks so much for the reply.

So what config do I need to do on the station and AP side? Do I need to bridge the wlan and eth on both the AP and station?

scampbell
Trainer
Trainer

Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:26 am

Cisco -> E1--Bridge--Wlan1...............Wlan1--Bridge--Ether1->Cisco

So we are bridging the link through all the way. VLAN's dont route so this is how it must be.

If for some reason a link had to be routed then you could introduce an EoIP or VPLS tunnel between your endpoints instead.

ShaunEng
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:08 am

Ah thanks so much.

I actually set this up in a lab and tested it, but was not sure if I somehow got lucky with my config or not. :D

We are then just waiting for downtime then I will make the change on the sector.

Another question if I may?

I have other stations connected to the sector and other sectors. If I bridge the eth and one wlan of the sector I need, what will the impact be on all the other clients that are connected to the sector I'm interested in and the ones on the other sectors?

Because the eth interface I will be bridging is used by all the sectors for connection back into the Cisco network.

Thanks
Shaun

scampbell
Trainer
Trainer

Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:04 am

If you have setup a transparent bridge and all clients are station-bridge then they will all see each other.

Disabling Default Forwarding on the AP/Bridge will give some L2 isolation from clients but the AP/Bridge will see all.

If you wish to seperate the customers then you may be better with a routed solution and use EoIP or VPLS L2Tunnel between endpoints.

WDS could be used but it is not very efficient on Wireless N. See http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?t=33930