Community discussions

MikroTik App

Ronton
just joined
Topic Author

RB912 unstable running at any kind of situations

Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:27 am

Hello All,

I am very close to throw all of the 912UAG-2HPnDs what we are using into the dustbin.

I have very bad experiences with this routerboard. They are totally unstable in any cases. There are two common problems: 1. after a while they are slow down, 2. the connections in the real life is very unstable.

We have installed 5 boards at our client in different locations. Use them as AP. Mainly wifi cameras some pc and smartphones try to connect to them.

We have tested several type of antennas:
• TP-Link standard 8dbi –indoor
• RF Elements, 14dBi/90°
• RF Elements, 13dBi/120°
• TP-Link TL-ANT2412D
• TP-Link standard 5dbi –indoor
• Omni‐directional Ceiling Antenna 5dbi
Same problem.

For power supply:
• separate 24V/0.8A Mikrotik power supply + gigabit eth
• 24V/1.6A POE injector power supply – Atlas / fast eth
• Gigabit POE splitter + 24V/1A
Same problem.

RouterOS (through Netinstall):
Same problem. Of course we have updated the Firmware as well.

Config:
Try to set any frequencies, set antenna gain, try different TX power, disable not using packages, test in lab environment… same problem.

I have set very basic settings: 1 SSID, no firewall, no queues, only WPA2 & aes encryption, nothing special set, just minimum config… same problem.

RB912 to RB912 the performance is acceptable at short distances, but with any other device unstable real bandwidth at any distances, antennas, configs... If more devices connect to RB912 the real performance is worse and worse. CPU usage only 1-10%.

I have searched on the forum and as I see not only us faced to this problem with this device. E.g.:
http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php ... 12#p430116

Any ideas what I can try out to fix the unstable running of RB912s I will really appreciate :-)

Ronton
just joined
Topic Author

Re: RB912 unstable running at any kind of situations

Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:03 pm

Just an example about the unstable running:
jperf.jpg
Connection between a Mikrotik 912UAG-2HPnD and Tp-Link TL-WN8200ND usb wifi adapter.
Antenna: two celling antennas - http://accesspoint.hu/files/ant_o3.pdf
5m distance between the devices. (office, indoor)

Tx/Rx Signal Strength: -19 - -25 dBm
Signal To Noise: 78-85dB
CCQ: 75-100%

Basic setup: 1 SSID, antenna gain set to 5dbi, try all of the frequencies same problem, tx power finetune has minimal effect, only wep2 aes, router os change minimal effect (now it is 6.33rc37), antenna swap minimal effect, routerboard change to other one no effect.

Same experiences with outdoor devices with RF elements sector antennas (or any other antennas)... Very fluctuating performance second by second, slow speed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.