Community discussions

MikroTik App

csdinternetpoint
just joined
Topic Author

Wireless PtMP for a final year college project

Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:34 pm

Dear Mikrotik users,

I'm Claudio and I mainly work with hotspots here in London.
After many years I decided to go back to school and for the past year I have been on a two years HND in Computing here in London, that will lead me to a 3rd year University degree in Networking.
I'm on my second year now and I have a project to do and I decided to go for a Wireless PtMP project using only Mikrotik products, all my colleagues are using Cisco as recommended by the teachers, So I would like to show them that there are other options apart from Cisco.

The Idea is that a company or a Council in a small area of the UK wants to interconnect and provide internet, share data and resources from their main building (Building A) to their local library (Building B) and a Job Centre (Building C) I thought of a distance of 7km from Building A to Building B and same from Building A to Building C

From building B - Another link to send internet to 10 houses at 15 MB per house, plus the library 4 workers need internet as well at 20MB.

From building C - A link to a Youth Centre 20MB, a temporary accommodation house at 30 MB and the Job Centre 5 staff also need internet at 20MB.

Would anyone please recommend which mikrotik products I could use on my main link from Building A, Building b and Building ?
For the others i thought of the RBSXTG-5HPacD-SA is it the ideal?

Thanks in advance for any input you would like provide.

Claudio

pukkita
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Wireless PtMP for a final year college project

Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:24 pm

Hello Claudio,
The Idea is that a company or a Council in a small area of the UK wants to interconnect and provide internet, share data and resources from their main building (Building A) to their local library (Building B) and a Job Centre (Building C) I thought of a distance of 7km from Building A to Building B and same from Building A to Building C

From building B - Another link to send internet to 10 houses at 15 MB per house, plus the library 4 workers need internet as well at 20MB.

From building C - A link to a Youth Centre 20MB, a temporary accommodation house at 30 MB and the Job Centre 5 staff also need internet at 20MB.

Would anyone please recommend which mikrotik products I could use on my main link from Building A, Building b and Building ?

For PTPs A-B and A-C you could use:

SEXTANT, QRT5, QRT5 AC, DynaDish. If spectrum allows you could pass from 100Mbps and up.

SXT5 Lite: A superb CPE for the customers, you can also setup great PTPs for short distances (<5km) with these.

You don't mention distance between houses and building B nor C... Very important also: how is the spectrum there

On Building B you can use sectors with inbuilt radio + antenna if distance between houses and sector is <=5km these SXT5 SA, SXT5 SA AC, or mANTbox.

Same goes for Building C, depending on distance you can use Sector + SXT5 Lite, depending on distance those speeds will be no problem.

First thing to do is start collecting geographical coordinates of all spots, and heights...