Community discussions

MikroTik App

nickgbmh
just joined
Topic Author

Wlan station mode slow thoroughput

Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:40 pm

I'm having a speed issue with an RB951G-2HnD that I just ordered. This is my first routerOS device and I have an intermediate level understanding of networking in general.

My end goal is to connect the wlan interface to a Verizon Jetpack and use that as the internet connection.The wired ports would then all be lan ports although I only really need 1 of them. The idea is to use this router as a backup internet connection (via verizon cell towers) for our network in case our main connection goes down.

I was able to configure this successfully however I only get a max of about 1 mbs when running a speed test (speedtest.net). If I reset the configuration to defaults and use it as an ordinary wifi router without the Verizon Jetpack involved then I can max out my speed test at 10 mbs. If I connect my laptop directly to the Jetpack I can also get 10bms over 4g. I don't know why the routerboard is limited to 1mbs but only when running in station mode vs an access point. Can anyone help me out?

More details:

Basically I just removed the wlan interface from bridge-local, changed it's mode to station and connected it to the Verizon Jetpack. I switched the dhcp client to the wlan interface and modifed the NAT rule to use wlan as the outbound interface as well. I also removed all ip filter rules to rule out any issues there. I am currently connected to the the internet with this setup using a laptop that is wired to the 2nd ethernet port. Everything works, I just can't go past 1mbs to the internet. The Verizon Jetpack is 4G and can do about 10 mbs max on its own.

Here is my config export:
[admin@MikroTik] > /export
# nov/13/2015 21:33:05 by RouterOS 6.33
# software id = **************
#
/interface bridge
add admin-mac=E4:8D:8C:A0:68:75 auto-mac=no name=bridge-local
/interface ethernet
set [ find default-name=ether2 ] name=ether2-master-local
set [ find default-name=ether3 ] master-port=ether2-master-local name=ether3-slave-local
set [ find default-name=ether4 ] master-port=ether2-master-local name=ether4-slave-local
set [ find default-name=ether5 ] master-port=ether2-master-local name=ether5-slave-local
set [ find default-name=ether1 ] master-port=ether2-master-local name=ether1-slave-local
/ip neighbor discovery
set ether1-slave-local discover=no
/interface wireless security-profiles
add authentication-types=wpa2-psk management-protection=allowed mode=dynamic-keys name=GBMH-MiFi \
    wpa2-pre-shared-key=***************
/interface wireless
set [ find default-name=wlan1 ] band=2ghz-onlyn disabled=no distance=indoors frequency=2417 security-profile=\
    GBMH-MiFi ssid=GBMH-MiFi wireless-protocol=802.11
/ip ipsec proposal
set [ find default=yes ] enc-algorithms=aes-128-cbc
/ip pool
add name=default-dhcp ranges=192.168.88.10-192.168.88.254
/interface bridge port
add bridge=bridge-local interface=ether2-master-local
/ip address
add address=192.168.88.1/24 comment="default configuration" interface=bridge-local network=192.168.88.0
/ip dhcp-client
add comment="default configuration" dhcp-options=hostname,clientid disabled=no interface=wlan1
/ip dhcp-server network
add address=192.168.88.0/24 comment="default configuration" dns-server=192.168.88.1 gateway=192.168.88.1
/ip dns
set allow-remote-requests=yes
/ip dns static
add address=192.168.88.1 name=router
/ip firewall nat
add action=masquerade chain=srcnat comment="default configuration" out-interface=wlan1
/system clock
set time-zone-autodetect=no
/system leds
set 0 interface=wlan1
/tool mac-server
set [ find default=yes ] disabled=yes
add interface=ether2-master-local
add interface=ether3-slave-local
add interface=ether4-slave-local
add interface=ether5-slave-local
add interface=wlan1
add interface=bridge-local