Community discussions

MikroTik App

colorsnet
just joined
Topic Author

New Mobile Home Community with issues...

Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:24 pm

I have a new location in a mobile home park. This park has 192 lots (per the owner). Only 151 are currently occupied. Anyway, it wont let me upload a map of the park. I have a 16ft mast with a Bullet2 with a 9dbi omni. This is the highest point in the park, everything else slopes downhill, so we didn't want to go too high with the mast.

The owner of this park doesn't want any thing mounted on these homes. (They are rent to own) He doesn't want me puting poles in the yards either.

Now, this location is currently live with service but in testing mode and only the office has service, but my problem is how am i suppose to get service into these homes? Some are steel, alluminum, etc. I've been testing the TPlink 843ND wisp router. The issue with this is it can't pull a strong enough signal into the home even at a close range. I have ordered some new 9dbi magnetic antennas to replace on the tplink 843nd but they haven't arrived yet.

Contracts are already signed with the data provider and I wasn't told about no outside installs until after the fact..

Need some guidance please.... I know, this is a lesson learned, but I have to make this work somehow.

hgonzale
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: New Mobile Home Community with issues...

Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:30 am

Remember, in a Wifi configuration, they are TWO persons (AP and client) talking each other.

You are NOT doing anything if you put POWER in one side. When the other side answer you, if it is very low (cell phone) it doesn't have enough power to reach you.

Creating do wireless services, you need to increase the power in both sides and the sensitivity.

Maybe, in your situation, the best is run wires and setup many AP (for examplo Ubiquiti PicoStation) in some parts. They are PoE, outside, small and discrete.

colorsnet
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:53 am

I thought about that, because this park has several light poles with street lights but no power outlets, so, that's another added expense to add outlets, but I could setup extra APs setup in ubnt as wds repeaters... my head is MT, and I thought about using some MT APs...

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:12 am

its hard to design with that restrictions

and hard to help with so few info

good luck

keep in mind that if you test some implementation maybe work well when you test with 3 to 5 clients but not with 100 clients

yo have to do a very good designand planning to guarantee decent service

if not

will be a nightmare and the end the only guilty will be you

evaluate if you have the needed conditions to do the job, if not its better to take a step aside than lost your reputation and carry all the bad results of letting you put the project in that conditions

michaeln416
just joined

New Mobile Home Community with issues...

Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:09 am

Consider this outdoor window/wall suction cup CPE mount. They work remarkably well, no screw holes required. https://goo.gl/Cuf3Pr

Mount this discretely outside the camper, run your cable inside then use a small, low powered AP inside.

They can fall off occasionally in bad weather. But it's easy to teach the customer how to replace and where to aim. Just make sure that you silicone seal the base of the cable and access port to the radio for when it is upside down on the ground in the rain.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:46 am

Using more sectors aiming to the camp instead one omnidirectional antenna on the hill that is out of vertical angle will significantly rise the link quality of both sides.

colorsnet
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:27 pm

Can I use multiple sectors on one radio? I thought about changing the radio out from the bullet2 to a mt groove...

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:43 am

Each sector should have its own radio. Maybe only one or two will be sufficient in your case. Depends on angle and other things. But generally it is expectable you will see the difference in comparison to omnidirectional antenna.

HappyPacket
just joined

Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:53 pm

Hi Colorsnet!

All this is said with best of intentions and without info on topology of the camp and current infrastracture.

First you need to sort it with owner and explain him that without CPEs on mobile homes he can forget about quality internet service in his park if you are going to have only central node AP.

Second you won't be able to connect all the homes in the camp with one groove and one omni antenna! You already have 150 homes, and camp has 200 (rounded up) homes, and if you expect 4 people per home that is 800 users!
You need sector antennas and each connected to it's card, 25 - 30 users MAX per antenna... you see where is this going...

For that many users you need a lot more AP-s, you can have something like this:

1 central tower with 5GHz sectors for main node

2 several towers (dependant on the configuration of the camp and planed equipment) that are connected via 5GHz link to main node, and then 2,4 GHz sectors for CPEs to connect to.

Best solution would be fiber from central node to towers through the camp XD