MikroTik App

Jacka
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN increase wireless range/performance

Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:11 am

Hi all,

I need better wireless performance in my 2 floor office, I know it has two 4dBi antennas can I replace them with other more powerful ? I know there are 9dBi antennas that can be connected using an adapter.

Thank you.

Here is my current config, maybe I can change something in settings to boost range and performance?

Spectral Scan:

Neighbors:

InoX
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN increase wireless range/performance

Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:18 pm

Why you limit the power to 17dbm if you want more wireless performance? Set it to default.

deanMKD1

Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:19 pm

Why you limit the power to 17dbm if you want more wireless performance? Set it to default.
Increasing dBi not meen better wireless performances!! Maybe you will get more signal strength, but will affect traffic speed.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:06 pm

You'd better to power up another Ap, regulate the power if both APs and let clients to roam.

InoX
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:10 pm

Increasing dBi not meen better wireless performances!! Maybe you will get more signal strength, but will affect traffic speed.
Generally, better signal means better speed, not vice versa, am I wrong? :D
You'd better to power up another Ap, regulate the power if both APs and let clients to roam.
Two are better than one in this case.

deanMKD1

Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:04 am

Generally, better signal means better speed, not vice versa, am I wrong? :D

You are wrong ! You will get maximum speed via wifi in radius from -60- -70 dBI. In 30 dbi i have issues with very strong signal, and someone teach me that not every time strong signal is good for speed. From that, i lower tx power to 17 dbi and get full speed from my isp. Before router cut my speed from half.

InoX
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:05 am

But he doesn't have a good signal like you, no?
Read his first post.
Also -60...-70 is on the edge of an good connection.
Also I'm happy that you learn from somebody to limit your router power to 17dbm for better performance. I believe that 18dbm was way to much also..

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:54 am

These values are acceptable for directional links. For notebooks and mobiles at home you need ideally a bit more, around -50 dbi. But as it is necessary to cover difficult space with obstacles and reflections, it cannot be better with bigger antennas. With more gain on omnidirectional antenna it gets more narrow vertical angle so it's getting more or less useless. It's much better to have more APs with low gain antennas and low transmit power at home but close to each other, for example each 10m one Ap. Everyone should note that wifi is bidirectional communication and it's for nothing to boost Ap transmit power when you cannot hear the client and distinguish it from noise.

dannym
just joined

Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:30 pm

Hello.
Ive got an issue with this router and wireless G card atheros 5007ag.
It cannot pass through even 8Mbps Rx/ Tx. So basically tested almost everything but didnt get work properly.
With other devices WiFi works pretty well. Also Atheros 5007ag works with Tp Link router nicely (about 23Mbps). So may I ask for Your help ?

Zorro
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:39 pm

range OR performance?
its freqently/usually mutually-exclusive things.
for first - go with 10Mhz or even 5Mhz width and play with power down or up
(usually reducing power - helps more, basically because its affect Your gear RX performance at some degree)
for bandwith - you had to combat EMI and ensure low-overhead in 40/80Mhz width.
some folks tend to put 1+1 radios to 1RX+1TX mode, where is there no MIMO or benefits from, for example.
basically there several different things to take into account: RX performance, TX performance, propagation, EMI, SoC overhead. and you had to maintain Each of them in "optimal" range, without putting anything to mutually-exclusive Extremes.