Community discussions

MikroTik App

OrcunBaslak
just joined
Topic Author

Optimizin WiFi performance under congested environment

Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:12 pm

Hello everyone,

I own a RB2011UiAS-2HnD. I'm in a fairy congested Wifi environment that my connection with my devices fail.

I use around 6-8 wireless devices connected to this unit. I'm using 6.33.5 version and router board is ver 3.24

A) My wireless is like this.

B) My RouterOS configuration is like this.

So the questions are;

1) I tried to move to 5Ghz range. AR9344 chip supports http://cykey.ca/~cykey/airport/AR9344.pdf 5Ghz it seems but RB2011 can't I think. Is there a way to move to 5Ghz range ?

2) I tried to move to 13th channel where there is less congestion however 2472 doesn't appear in the list (hence the screenshot). 2452 - Channel 9 is the lastest one. I tried this under "china" and "no_country_settings" setting. Is there a way to move to Channel 13 ?

3) "Auto" setting underfrequency automatically selects the MOST CONGESTED frequency thus I experience more losses. what's the algorithm behind it ? How often does that execute and change channel ?

4) Any suggestions for handling the situation is also welcome.

BR,
Orcun

orangetek

Re: Optimizin WiFi performance under congested environment

Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:03 pm

Try setting "Adaptive Noise Immunity" to "ap and client mode" under advanced wireless settings.

To set channel 13, set country to Japan or one that supports 13 channels. You can also set the frequency mode to superchannel and use 2472. Just bear in mind it is illegal to use channels that are outside of your countries wifi regulations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels.

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:10 pm

use 20mhz channels, try channel 11.

set your country if channel 13 dont appear is because is not allowed by your local regulation

if you set channel 13 and your local regulation dont allow that channel some devices cant connect at all

deanMKD1

Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:58 am

1) I tried to move to 5Ghz range. AR9344 chip supports http://cykey.ca/~cykey/airport/AR9344.pdf 5Ghz it seems but RB2011 can't I think. Is there a way to move to 5Ghz range ? ---->>> No its not possible to insert 5Ghz in RB2011 because there is only one wifi card built in.

2) I tried to move to 13th channel where there is less congestion however 2472 doesn't appear in the list (hence the screenshot). 2452 - Channel 9 is the lastest one. I tried this under "china" and "no_country_settings" setting. Is there a way to move to Channel 13 ? ----->>> Noup. Use less populated chanel from your place !

3) "Auto" setting underfrequency automatically selects the MOST CONGESTED frequency thus I experience more losses. what's the algorithm behind it ? How often does that execute and change channel ? ---> Never use Auto settings, because probably in your environment have 10+ wireless routers / units that are set to Auto channel. Make a spetral scan , and use less populated channel.

4) Any suggestions for handling the situation is also welcome. --->> Follow my suggestionsfrom my local Mikrotik forum. I dont want to write all that again here. Hint: Use Google Translate. :D

OrcunBaslak
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:10 am

Hello,

Actually the Channel 13 - 2472 popped up out-of-nowhere. Now I can select it. It's either because I rebooted the router ot narrowed down to 20MHz.

I've applied the settings and I will get back once I'm done testing it.

Moreover, can anyone explain me the logic behind auto-frequency ?

BR,