Community discussions

MikroTik App

martinb
just joined
Topic Author

Wireless and bridging

Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:02 am

Hi everyone,

I'm working on very simple task. Here is the topology. As you can see, it is very simple.
AP bridge.png
I have one wAP MikroTik and I would like to bridge the network between UniFi AP wifi and Eth1 of my wAP router. With another router (not MikroTik vendor) I can simple switch to bridge mode and my laptop is behave like device in the UniFi AP network (it got DHCP parameters etc. internet connection works nicely).

But when I want to do this with my MK router I have a issue. I can set the Wireless interface to any kind of bridge mode (station bridge, ap bridge, pseudobridge etc.) and it doesn't work. My laptop doesn't get any DHCP parameters.

I also tried to create bridge interface and do lot of combinations of configuration with bridge interface and wireless but I unable to make it work.

Is there any limitation within vendors devices? I have already read about station bridge and its limitation ("this mode works only with RouterOS APs").

Is there any option how to make this work? I think this is a very basic scenario but I have already spent a lot of time and still not functional concept.
--------------------------------------------
RouterOS version 6.32.3
License level 4
Actually I started the configuration from defaults and currently no NAT, Firewall, etc.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kiaunel
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:13 pm

Do you connect to ap? If you put an dhcp client on wireless interface are u getting an ip? Then can you ping from mikrotik? If you can then simply add a bridge interface with wireless interface and one or more ethX. It should work. Before the bridge remove dhcp client.

Sent from my Lenovo K50-t5 using Tapatalk

TomosRider
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Wireless and bridging

Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:15 am

Simply add bridge interface, add to its interfaces your wlan and eth interface that will connect to your computer and that should be it.
Remove any DHCP server settings if there are any.

martinb
just joined
Topic Author

Re:

Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:29 pm

Do you connect to ap? If you put an dhcp client on wireless interface are u getting an ip? Then can you ping from mikrotik? If you can then simply add a bridge interface with wireless interface and one or more ethX. It should work. Before the bridge remove dhcp client.

Yes, I can connect to AP. Yes, I'm able to get IP and other parameters from DHCP when I set the wireless interface as DHCP client. Ping was working well.

I tried to do this scenario, set Eth1 and WLAN interface under one bridge but without success. My PC/Laptop was unable to get DHCP parameters. So obviously the internet didn't work from PC.

martinb
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:33 pm

Simply add bridge interface, add to its interfaces your wlan and eth interface that will connect to your computer and that should be it.
Remove any DHCP server settings if there are any.
I have already tried this case but it didn't work. I thing this is very basic scenario and I really don't understand why this simply configuration didn't work.

The problem is already solved by another AP device (not MikroTik vendor) but regardless I curious how I should configure the network to get it work.

kiaunel
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:31 pm

Post your config here

TomosRider
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:33 am

For a user who doesnt get involved too much with Mikrotik, its not that simple, probably you've missed something in your config. Anyway, glad that you solved the problem.

martinb
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:07 pm

I have already tried the simple configuration with bridge and add to it Wlan and Eth interfaces. Wlan is set to station mode. This was my first option ;-) but this is just not working in my case.
Here is the config:
[admin@AP6] > interface wireless print 
Flags: X - disabled, R - running 
 0  R name="wlan1" mtu=1500 l2mtu=1600 mac-address=E4:8D:8C:CE:E4:4F arp=enabled interface-type=Atheros AR9300 
      mode=station ssid="ssidabcd" frequency=2412 band=2ghz-b/g channel-width=20mhz scan-list=default 
      wireless-protocol=any vlan-mode=no-tag vlan-id=1 wds-mode=disabled wds-default-bridge=none 
      wds-ignore-ssid=no bridge-mode=enabled default-authentication=yes default-forwarding=yes 
      default-ap-tx-limit=0 default-client-tx-limit=0 hide-ssid=no security-profile=abcd

[admin@AP6] > interface bridge print 
Flags: X - disabled, R - running 
 0  R name="bridge1" mtu=auto actual-mtu=1500 l2mtu=1598 arp=enabled mac-address=E4:8D:8C:CE:E4:4F 
      protocol-mode=none priority=0x8000 auto-mac=yes admin-mac=00:00:00:00:00:00 max-message-age=20s 
      forward-delay=15s transmit-hold-count=6 ageing-time=5m

[admin@AP6] > interface bridge port print 
Flags: X - disabled, I - inactive, D - dynamic 
 #    INTERFACE                              BRIDGE                             PRIORITY  PATH-COST    HORIZON
 0    wlan1                                  bridge1                                0x80         10       none
 1    ether1                                 bridge1                                0x80         10       none

[admin@AP6] > interface wireless security-profiles print
Flags: * - default 
 1   name="abcd" mode=dynamic-keys authentication-types=wpa2-psk,wpa2-eap unicast-ciphers=aes-ccm 
     group-ciphers=aes-ccm wpa-pre-shared-key="" wpa2-pre-shared-key="password" supplicant-identity="" 
     eap-methods=passthrough tls-mode=no-certificates tls-certificate=none mschapv2-username="" 
     mschapv2-password="" static-algo-0=none static-key-0="" static-algo-1=none static-key-1="" 
     static-algo-2=none static-key-2="" static-algo-3=none static-key-3="" static-transmit-key=key-0 
     static-sta-private-algo=none static-sta-private-key="" radius-mac-authentication=no 
     radius-mac-accounting=no radius-eap-accounting=no interim-update=0s radius-mac-format=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX 
     radius-mac-mode=as-username radius-mac-caching=disabled group-key-update=5m 
     management-protection=allowed management-protection-key=""

kiaunel
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:09 pm

station can not work in bridge mode.
try station bridge or station wds