Community discussions

MikroTik App

Boter
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

CAPsMAN

Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:58 pm

Hi there! I actually did a lot on wireless on routerboards... I was at MUM @Ljubljana and that was the first time I saw the CAPsMAN v2. Actually I tried v1, but was not impressed.

Same goes actuall for v2 (not very impressed yet), I like the simplicity, but still I have some questions.

I'm using 6.35.rc12, with wireless-rep on a dev network. I managed to connect 6 AP's, looks OK. Network consists of different tipes of mikrotiks/routerboards, some devices have only 2.4, some 5, and will be in very different locations. What I'm trying to do... I set channels for 2.4 and 5, but here I see problem. Fore some AP's I would like to have different settings - I would like CAPsMAN to work like manager, provide ssid for AP's - but TX power, chains, and frequency should be managed on AP not on CAPsMAN - all AP's dont have same performance, or wifi band is poluted on some locations.

Other things I noticed - wifi speed is much lower that I have had without CAPsMAN - I'm trying to figure that out.

Any thougts of this?

brwainer

Re: CAPsMAN

Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:11 pm

In the Interface tab of CAPsMAN you can make changes that will only apply to that radio (and remember slave interfaces ("Virtual APs") take their physical settings from the master interface). If the Interface you want to make changes to is Dynamic, copy it and then you can make your changes. Anything you want to change that isn't exposed in CAPsMAN I think you're out of luck on.

As for speed, are you using local forwarding mode or CAPsMAN forwarding?

Boter
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:20 pm

In the test enviroment I only have 1 AP :) Yeah I have "create dynamic enabled". So I guess I will have to wait for CAPsMAN v3, otherwise I was happy with it - looked simple and fast to deploy lots of AP's.
As for speed, are you using local forwarding mode or CAPsMAN forwarding?
What do you mean with this? I created minimal test enviroment, installed capsman, set default settings, and that's it

brwainer

Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:01 am

If you use create-enabled instead of create-dynamic-enabled, or if you copy the dynamic interfaces, you end up with static interfaces. Static interfaces let you make changes to just that single interface after it is provisioned. In the Interface you can set all sorts of radio parameters, especially if using the latest RC releases which added more.

In the datapath section of your configuration, do you have Local Forwarding enabled? If yes, then the AP handles forwarding. If no, then all data has to be sent to the CAPsMAN router, and then the router handles the data. CAPsMAN forwarding (the default) can be slower but is much more powerful in what you can do with the data.

Boter
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:05 pm

Okay thanks, this answer looks promising :) will try and see what will happen.

freemannnn
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:29 pm

If you use create-enabled instead of create-dynamic-enabled, or if you copy the dynamic interfaces, you end up with static interfaces. Static interfaces let you make changes to just that single interface after it is provisioned. In the Interface you can set all sorts of radio parameters, especially if using the latest RC releases which added more.

In the datapath section of your configuration, do you have Local Forwarding enabled? If yes, then the AP handles forwarding. If no, then all data has to be sent to the CAPsMAN router, and then the router handles the data. CAPsMAN forwarding (the default) can be slower but is much more powerful in what you can do with the data.
what do you mean by this....what more u can do with the data?
is it preffered to use local forward or not (in an installation with 30 caps with rb2011 as capsmanager and 50mbps download speed) ?

drpater
just joined

Fri May 12, 2017 10:10 am

2011 can serve up to 70 cAPs in capsman forwarding mode and up to 400 clients at same time, with 40-60% CPU load. Download speed make no matter, if capsman is a simple bridge (routing, queuing, firewalling ets served by another hardware), overwise you should keep in mind this workload.

freemannnn
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri May 12, 2017 10:25 am

capsman is set at bridge and caps are in capsman forwarding mode. i have setup also hotspot and a queue (pcq) for serving the customers.
i think i will be ok with rb2011 for all these services!