Community discussions

MikroTik App

ToddAtWSU
just joined
Topic Author

[SOLVED] hAP Lite As PTP Bridge Constantly Disconnecting - There is a bug in PTP QuickSet

Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:55 am

I just purchased a new RB941-2nD-TC hAP Lite to use as a PTP Bridge on my network. I already have an RB941-2nD at one end of the house working as a PTP Bridge with no problems. My AP is an ASUS RT-AC56R and is located in the center of my house on the top of my desktop computer desk. I am wanting to add this new hAP Lite as a wireless bridge to the other end of my house.

When I first got it, I entered Quick Set and set it to PTP Bridge, chose Client/CPE, united_states as my country and left it at 20/40 MHz Ce. My AP is currently set at 20/40 MHz. I found the AP with a very strong signal, as it should be right now since the new hAP Lite is at my desktop as well. I choose my network and entered in my WPA2-AES password and clicked connect with Address Acquisition set to Automatic. Things worked like a charm.

I then changed from Automatic to Static and provided it the IP I wanted, set the Netmask and Gateway. I then went into IP->DNS and set the DNS to the local AP. Everything was great. I then clicked "Check for Updates" and updated it to 6.34.3. After it rebooted, I went to System->Routerboard and updated it from 3.24 to 3.29 and issued a reboot. Everything looked just like my first bridge except for a different IP address.

Everything was continuing to work great. I then moved the hAP Lite to the end of the house and plugged it in. I connected to it via WinBox 3.1 from my laptop across the network and was scrolling through the settings. I accidently disconnected the hAP Lite from my network and realized what I had done. I went back and grabbed the hAP Lite and brought it back to the desktop to hardwire it into a machine (my laptop has no Ethernet port).

This is where my problems began. I had it connect to the network again and thought things were working fine. It said it was connected and I took it back to its position in the end of the house. However, I could no longer connect to it via WinBox on any machine. So I brought it back again to my desktop and noticed some peculiar behavior. It constantly connects/disconnects from my wireless network.

I have reset the configuration and tried starting over, but it continues to behave this way. The logs show the following 2 messages:

<MAC_ADDR>@wlan1: established connection on 2432000, SSID xxxxx
<MAC_ADDR>@wlan1: lost connection, received deauth: 4-way handshake timeout (15)

It will stay connected for 8 seconds and then disconnect for 3 seconds and repeat this cycle over and over.

When I add in Debug and Wireless logging for Memory, I get the following messages:

<MAC_ADDR>@wlan1: lost connection, received deauth: 4-way handshake timeout (15)
wlan1: must select network
<MAC_ADDR>: on 2432 AP: yes SSID xxxxx caps 0x1411 rates 0xCCK:1-11 OFDM 6-54 BW: 1x-2x SGI: 1x-2x HT:0-15 basic 0xCCK: 1-11 MT: no
<DIFF_MAC_ADDR>: on 2432 AP: yes SSID caps 0x511 rates 0xOFDM:6-54 BW:1x SGI 1x HT:0-15 basic 0xOFDM:6,12,24 MT: no
wlan1: <MAC_ADDR> uses regular 802.11, skip
wlan1: no network that satisfies connect-list, by default choose with strongest signal
wlan1: <MAC_ADDR> uses regular 802.11, skip
wlan1: no network that satisfies connect-list, by default choose with strongest signal
<MAC_ADDR>@wlan1 established connected on 2432000, SSID xxxxx

It then continues this block over and over in the same time sequence with a disconnect, 3 seconds later all the rest of the messages , and then 8 seconds later, the disconnection message again.

Do you have any ideas what I am doing wrong, especially since initially it worked. And comparing configurations between my 2 bridges, everything but the IP address seems identical and my original bridge has no issues whatsoever.

Thanks for your help!
Todd
Last edited by ToddAtWSU on Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

pukkita
Trainer
Trainer

Re: hAP Lite As PTP Bridge Constantly Disconnecting

Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:20 pm

It could be an interference problem, first thing I'd try is setting channel width to 20Mhz.

40 Mhz is almost unusable in 2.4Ghz, even using 20MHz you only have 3 non overlapping channels.

By default the behaviour when using 40MHz is to reset the L1 connection as soon as overlapping is detected, and that may be causing your problem.

ToddAtWSU
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:48 pm

I switched my AP to 20 MHz only and then disconnected the MikroTik. I changed it to 20MHz only and reconnected it. I get the same behavior as before when it was 20/40. Any other ideas?

pukkita
Trainer
Trainer

Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:10 pm

do the reconnects happen with the Hap on your desktop?

open a new terminal and issue (with the Hap on its "far away" place)
/interface wireless spectral-history wlan1
and post the screenshot.

Post also your configuration:
/export hide-sensitive
Are there any kind of logs on the Asus? What OS is it running, stock or xWRT variant?

ToddAtWSU
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:38 pm

So the ASUS AP is at my desktop. The hAP at the front end of the house never has this issue of disconnecting/reconnecting. This new hAP I am trying to put at the back end of the house is doing this both in the back of the house and if I move it next to the desktop where the AP is.

The output for the /interface command is in spectralHistory.png. Did I let it run long enough?
spectralHistory.png
The output for the export is in configOne.png and continued in configTwo.png.
configOne.png
configTwo.png
You can see in the background of these two pictures the QuickSet showing it disconnected and connected.

As far as the ASUS AP, it is running the stock OS which is their variant of DD-WRT. DD-WRT never seemed to have any updates for the router and ASUS was continuing to update their firmware which they call ASUS-WRT, so I switched back to that before I had either of the Mikrotiks. Looking through the AP logs, I don't see anything that jumps out about mentioning the new Mikrotik.

Please let me know if you need anything else. I am hopeful this will start working.
Thanks!
Todd
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pukkita
Trainer
Trainer

Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:37 pm

Your spectrum is a dream! that and the fact the other Hap works fine rules out interference problems.

disable TKIP in wireless security profile, apart from being obsolete it taxes CPUs and reduces performance.

You said you unintentionally "disconnected" the Hap from the network. How?

Have you tried swapping the power supplies between the Haps? Do it to rule out faulty or noisy power supply.

If the problem persists, the fact that another identical device, with identical configuration ROS versions and firmware is performing fine, raises suspicions it may be "misbehaving"...

Which wireless package has the one performing fine, and this one which is having problems? (Look in System > Packages)

If both have the same wireless package these are the steps to try:

1.- reset wireless interface configuration (there's an specific reset button on wireless) and manually reconfig it again.

If problem persists:

2.- Make a configuration export by using (/export file=HapLite2Setup), then issue a System > Reset Configuration, ticking no default configuration, no backup.

Once it reboots connect to it by winbox (mac mode) and issue an /import file-name=HapLite2Setup.rsc.

If problem persists:

3.- Do a netinstall (http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Netinstall). This process wipes and reformats the nand, and reinstalls ROS. Once it reboots, import back the configuration with the same procedure as step 2.

If problem persists, generate a supout and email mikrotik support to open a support ticket, attaching the supout file, describing the problem and troubleshooting steps you have done (by linking to this post or explaining to them you already tried the three resets).

ToddAtWSU
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:31 pm

My unintentional Disconnect was I clicked the Disconnect button in the QuickSet page. I was wanting to look at something and I briefly thought, "I thought I saw that when I wasn't connected to the network" so I disconnected and as soon as I clicked it called myself a dummy since I wouldn't be able to reach it wirelessly over the network anymore.

Power Supply swapping did nothing. The packages are all the same, 6.34.3

I am actually on my second attempt already. I bought one off Amazon and it showed the same symptoms. I took it to the IT guy at work, we use multiple MikroTik products at work so I assumed I was doing something wrong and he could magically fix it. He observed the same behavior I did and said it looked faulty, he could figure nothing out with it. So I returned it and bought another one from a different seller on Amazon. So I don't know if it's a faulty batch or if I am doing something wrong.

Anyways, how do I perform Step 1. Are you talking the little button on the back just above where the power plug goes in at? I unplugged the hAP lite and pushed the button in and plugged it back in but that didn't seem to do anything. So what do you want me to do exactly?

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:55 am

It's strange. I have two of these devices (not TC) with wds link between them and it looks to be disconnected each 4 hours regularly. Need to explore it more and get in touch with support after that....

pukkita
Trainer
Trainer

Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:12 pm

@jarda: looks like...

@ToddAtWSU: First thing I'd suggested is ressetting just the wireless configuration.

On winbox, go to Wireless > Wireless tables tab, double click on wlan1, then click the "Reset configuration" button at the bottom right of that same window. That will only reset wireless parameters.

Which wireless package are you using on the working and not working devices? (System > Packages, could be wireless-fp or wireless-cm2)

Are both Hap Lites the same? there are two gens: first is an horizontal device, second is "tower" form factor.

ToddAtWSU
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:24 pm

My first hAP Lite is the original horizontal form factor and this newest one is the (TC) tower version. Are there known issues with this tower version. The one I already returned and this one are both the tower versions.

I am trying to do the NetInstall and am having no luck. I static configured my IP Address to be 10.1.1.10 with subnet of 255.255.255.0 and a default gateway of 10.1.1.1.

I opened NetInstall and clicked the Net booting button, check marked Enable Boot Server and set the IP to 10.1.1.10 and hit OK.

I have my network card directly plugged into the hAP Lite. I press down the Reset button on the hAP Lite and then plug in its power source. I wait ~30 seconds and nothing populates or pops up on the NetInstall app. I have both 6.34.3 and 6.35rc26 downloaded to my system and NetInstall sees both of those. So what am I doing wrong here?

As far as the packages, both hAP Lites are using the:

routeros-smips 6.34.3
advanced-tools 6.34.3
dhcp 6.34.3
hotspot 6.34.3
ipv6 (grayed out) 6.34.3
mpls 6.34.3
ppp 6.34.3
routing 6.34.3
security 6.34.3
system 6.34.3
wireless-cm2 6.34.3

Thanks again for your help. Sorry for all the questions.
Todd

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:17 am

Pukkita, not just looks like. I have it recorded in dude. I have got an idea to switch off the RSTP on bridges so I am testing it now without the RSTP.

pukkita
Trainer
Trainer

Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:39 pm

@Todd: try keeping pressing the reset button until it shows up in netinstall.

@jarda: are yours -TC versions also?

ToddAtWSU
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:32 pm

Do I start with pressing the reset button and then plug in the power, or should it already be powered on and directly connected to the computer and then I press and hold the reset button?

Also, will some of the fields in the NetInstall app populate with data? Just curious what I should look for so I know I have done it correctly.

Does it matter which port on the hAP Lite I use? Do I need the "Internet" port? Currently, I have always been trying to do things via one of the 3, "non-Internet" ports.

ToddAtWSU
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:02 am

Alright, so I got the netInstall to work when I plugged into the Internet port of the hAP Lite. I followed the directions and finally got the router to show up under the list of hard drives. I enabled the Net Booting and set it's IP to 10.1.1.5 and my PC IP to 10.1.1.10.

I chose the 6.34.3 package and clicked Install. The status changed from Ready to Installing to Ready in 1 second. After closing and opening NetInstall about 3 times and rebooting the hAP Lite each time I finally got it to Install. The button then showed Reboot which I did. I then closed NetInstall and imported my settings from before.

Much to my dismay, the disconnects/reconnects continued.

I thought I would try again but use the 6.35rc26 I had downloaded along with 6.34.3. However, everytime I tried this, I was unable to get it to actually Install. When I would click the Install button, it would either do nothing, or change the status to Installing for 1 second and then go back to Ready.

After 10 failed attempts, I gave up trying to install the release candidate.

Any more ideas or have I received two faulty hAP Lites?
Thanks again!
Todd

ToddAtWSU
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:48 am

I just emailed tech support and included my supout.rif file, so hopefully they will be able to help. But if you have any other ideas, I will gladly try them!

Thanks!
Todd

pukkita
Trainer
Trainer

Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:57 am

Try upgrading to rc via system > packages check for updates button, setting the channel to release candidate.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:09 am

My haps lite are not TC versions. I hate the tc design. And it really seems now that the wds link is not broken regularly each four hours. Even it disconnects time to time it joins immediately right after and not keeping disconnecting for 20 minutes each four hours like before. After some time of observation I am going to switch RSTP on again to proove it was the cause. Then I will rise the ticket to support with supouts.
I also extended the raw data keep timeout in dude to 50 hours to have nice records of this phenomenon.

ToddAtWSU
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:30 am

I can't upgrade through Winbox since I can't keep a connection to my WiFi. The only time I have upgraded it through WinBox was the one time the connection stayed way in the beginning of using this device before I disconnected it. Is there some other way I can try to apply the RC?

ToddAtWSU
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:30 pm

So I temporarily turned off my WPA2-AES security on my AP and turned it to Open for a few minutes. When I did this, the hAP Lite was able to connect and stay connected to my AP. I was then able to download the RC and rebooted the hAP Lite. However when I reapply WPA2-AES I cannot stay connected.

I found my wireless logs on my AP and it is interesting to notice that the new hAP Lite is marked as Associated but not Authorized. The first hAP Lite is marked as Associated and Authorized. I cannot figure out why this new hAP Lite is not marked as Authorized.

ToddAtWSU
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:41 pm

We have found the problem and it is a bug with the Quickset settings! If you type in the WiFi password in the Quickset settings and connect you will get the connect/disconnect problem. Running the command "/interface wireless security-profile print without-paging" shows the password as "*************". If I go to the Wireless page and switch to the Security tab, I can double click the connection and change the password. While this dialog shows ****** to hide the password, when I rerun the /interface command, it shows in plain text my actual WiFi password and stays connected. But if on the Quickset page I disconnect and reconnect, my password is changed back to ***** (as seen in the /interface command) even though I wrote the correct password in.

Mikrotik tech support has been great and they said they would begin working on this bug fix. So hopefully a future release will fix this issue, but it appears setting the password through the Security tab in the Wireless window will also resolve the issues.

jernejd
just joined

Re: [SOLVED] hAP Lite As PTP Bridge Constantly Disconnecting - There is a bug in PTP QuickSet

Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:40 pm

Hi,

thank you very much. I was having the same problems and I have tested all possible mt routers with no luck ;). Your method works like a charm!

Jernej

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: [SOLVED] hAP Lite As PTP Bridge Constantly Disconnecting - There is a bug in PTP QuickSet

Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:54 pm

Not setting a dns server on a router. Mixing up various passwords. Now this.

I used quickset 2 rimes. Both times I had to start over from scratch.

I just don't even look at it anymore.

pukkita
Trainer
Trainer

Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:37 pm

Quick set is only intended to be used as a "helper" from a just reset to defaults device.

For subsequent adjustments, it is advised to modify settings directly.

jimmyz
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:40 am

Not setting a dns server on a router. Mixing up various passwords. Now this.

I used quickset 2 rimes. Both times I had to start over from scratch.

I just don't even look at it anymore.
+1

valdemirrix
just joined

Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:02 pm

Hi there,

Although the Mikrotik (HAP Lite) settings are correct, it disconnects continuously.
I had already read on another list that the message was a password error, but I was sure it was correct.

At the terminal checked the settings:

/ wireless interface security-profile print without-paging

The keys were as they should be: in capital letters (ABCD26218). I changed the letters to lowercase and magic: stopped disconnecting, got IP address and is working very well.

to make sure I did on the same command line:
/ wireless interface security-profiles> set name = "PROFILE_NAME" wpa-pre-shared-key = "abcd26218" wpa2-pre-shared-key = "abcd26218".

Do not ask me why it worked in lowercase when the key was uppercase in the AP, but soved my problem;