Community discussions

MikroTik App

Basdno
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

"Frequency: Auto" for 5 Ghz - Why does it not work?

Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:28 pm

"Frequency: Auto" for 5 Ghz - Why does it not work?

If I set a 5ghz AP to choose frequency by AUTO function. It looks like it does, and it says it has chosen a frequency.
However no client neither Mikrotik nor other can see or connect to it.
Latest example today I set up a new SoHo hAP AC, and wanted to quickly connect my device to the hAP ac with default config+New-WPA2 security rule via WPS.

For the 2Ghz wlan, no problem at all(Other then that the physical button on hAP-ac didnt respond so had to use virtual button, but thats another matter probably).

Then I tried to connect 5ghz wlan via WPS- pushing virtual button. But nothing happens. Then I check the listed networks and notices that the 5ghz network isnt even listed. So I remember having similar problem a little while ago, find that it I set to auto frequency, and quickly change the frequency to a manual choosen value.

BANG: WPS works like a charm, and network is visible in available network list!

So has any1 else noticed this?

I dont use 5ghz on SoHo normaly, and all other 5ghz installasions I usuly set a manual value so havent been very bothered by this. BUT it could be a nice feature to be able to use in crowded RF envirnoments maybe, so AP has ability to check if it is on best frequency or something. But the point is that there seems to be an option in setup that does not work as intended, so either I am doing something wrong or it might need fixing?!

Only other change I did on standard config besides setting a WPA security, was to change to regulatory domain : Norway.
And after a quick test now, it looks like AUTO works when set to "No country set", but NOT when set to "Norway", maybe just a BUG in Norways settings????

NOPE, if set to other then Norway, I can SEE the network in available networks list and can even click it and and enter security code manualy(WPS still didnt work). BUT after I entered code and it should have connected, it just shows as if avalable but no connection is possible.
However, the second I set a frequency manualy it kicked in and connected to the AP without no problems.........

Sorry for the bit confusing and step by step post, but just wanted to hear if any1 else has noticed this or similar behaviour on 5Ghz APs?!

Its not a big deal for me, but if more people has experienced this, I guess Ill put togheter a report and ship to MT so they can check it out! :)

Cheers

p3rad0x
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: "Frequency: Auto" for 5 Ghz - Why does it not work?

Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:18 pm

Hi,

It can be that the wireless device does not support the frequency that the router auto'd to.

5180-5320 and 5500-5700 should work fine.

in the scan list, remove default and add these two.