Community discussions

MikroTik App

ToddAtWSU
just joined
Topic Author

[SOLVED] hAP Lite as Bridge and DHCP Not Working

Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:43 pm

I have a couple hAP Lites working as PTP Bridges accessing my ASUS AP. For some of my devices, inside my ASUS AP I have static DHCP setup so the device always has the same IP. Some of the other devices I don't care what IP it gets. When the devices connect on their own WiFi connections, they have no problem getting the IP I set aside for them or the automatic one they are given. When I change my AP to associate those IPs with their wired MAC address and plug these devices into my bridges, they cannot connect. If I statically type in their IP and subnet mask, DNS, and everything else, it works just fine. But I know the whole point of doing the static DHCP naming is so I don't have to do static connections on all my devices.

So why can't my devices see the DHCP when hardwired through my hAP Lite bridges with automatic connections, but work fine when I statically declare their information?

I saw in WinBox there are DHCP Server, DHCP Relay, and DHCP Client options, do I need to do something with those?

Thanks!
Todd
Last edited by ToddAtWSU on Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

ToddAtWSU
just joined
Topic Author

Re: hAP Lite as Bridge and DHCP Not Working

Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:02 am

It appears I have solved my own problem with some playing. I didn't realize you could set up a DHCP relay for each ethernet port and once I saw this, I changed it to the entire bridge and now things work the way I expect them to be obeying the AP's DHCP server.