MikroTik App

nkourtzis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Newbie problems and questions regarding CAPsMAN

Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:02 pm

Hello,

I just tried to activate CAPsMAN to an installation with 5 APs plus a router also acting as an AP. The Manager would be the router. I had not used CAPsMAN before, so I may very well have done it the wrong way.

The APs are 4xBaseBox 2 converted to dual-band with the use of R11e-5HacD cards and 1xRB951G-2HnD (indoor). The router is a hAP AC. All of them are running 6.35RC42.
  • Problem 1: when setting up the 5GHz radio to be managed by CAPsMAN, a "no supported band" message comes up, even though all parameters (channel frequency, channel width, extension channel, band, mode are double-checked and similar to the ones used on the APs when operating in standalone mode. If I remove the frequency setting, the message dissapears and a frequency is automatically selected.
  • Problem 2: Power setting is not honored by the APs. Even when set at 21 or 23 dB in the CAPsMAN config, it is set to an arbitrary level, such as 17 dB on the APs, even with manual-txpower.
  • Problem 3: When something in the CAPsMAN config changes, new interfaces are created at the CAPs, causing their numbers to increase (like wlan13(!)), even though the old interfaces do not exist any more.
  • Problem 4: If an interace in CAPsMAN is renamed to something more meaningful, then if the corresponding CAP is returned to standalone operation, the renamed interface remains in CAPsMAN as active.
  • Question 1: The 2GHz-g/n band which is available in CAPsMAN is not available on the APs in standalone operation. Why?
  • Question 2: What is the best config in order to facilitate as seamless roaming of clients between the APs as possible?
  • Question 3: I saw it is not possible to assign virtual wireless interfaces to the Manager directly from the APs, even if they already exist. Instead you have to assign the physical interface they belong to and then create the virtual ones in the manager. Is this correct or am I missing something?
I apologise for the looooong post, but CAPsMAN is indeed a complicated as much as capable feature and questions just keep popping up. I am hoping for answers!

N.