MikroTik App

quackyo
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

WDS to make a mesh of 5 wireless AP's ?

Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:52 pm

Hi.

Several years ago I helped a small organisation to set up a Openmesh-based network several years ago, controlled by cloudtrax.com . It consists of 5 single radio 2,4GHz 802.11n AP's, where only one of them have internet connection (by cable), the other ones has a mesh connection through the other AP's. (2 of them can see the Main AP)..
It works, but not very well.
I know that you get half the speed for every hop you do since the single radio setup have to double work.. And low speeds would be alright if it just was stable.. But its not very stable.

Have anybody tried WDS mesh of multiple mikrotiks? Does it work (stable)?
I know the best thing would be to do dual radios, preferably 5Ghz on "backbone", but 2,4GHz does penetrate walls and such more. What about a Dual 2,4GHz setup?
To run a Dual setup through WDS, would it be possible/smart to make a WDS for backbone, and then control WLAN2 (or a secondary AP) through CapsMan for roaming?

Any other Ideas? I know it would be best to run cables between buildings, but that's just not possible in this case.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:13 pm

If you will go with two radios, use one as client on one frequency and other on all distant devices as Ap on another frequency. It will act better than wds. Now you can even try the newly introduced universal repeater function with wireless - rep package from latest release candidate.

quackyo
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: WDS to make a mesh of 5 wireless AP's ?

Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:00 am

The point is i need Mesh-functionality, as some of the 4 non-cable-connected AP's will need to have multiple ways in to the main AP, as the power can go away for a short time on some of them.

Anyone have actual experience doing something like this with MT?

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:40 pm

What about to use RSTP when everything is bridged? Or if you need mesh, do it only with core interconnected radios which are not otherwise used for clients.
Connection by ssid will let the devices to roam, so it could solve your situation too.