Community discussions

MikroTik App

raindeer
just joined
Topic Author

How can i update the firmware and portforward without going to the roof

Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:58 pm

and using the rest button / jumpers ? my current routerOS version is 6.29.1 , i wanna upgrade to the latest but more importantly i wanna portforward for my games so that my NAT becomes Open , i also maybe want to configure the SXT in bridge mode so that i can enter the username and password on my router ..

the problem being that i don't have the username and password to the SXT and i don't wanna go up there not only because it's risky but also if i hold the reset button all the configuration will be lost and i have to call them again and i'll get extremely embarrassed

so is there a way that i can do all that from down here ?

thanks in advance for your kind replies

raindeer
just joined
Topic Author

Re: How can i update the firmware and portforward without going to the roof

Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:01 pm

i also want to change my dns settings , in windows network adapter properties , there is only one dns for me and that is 4.2.2.3 ! there isn't even an alternative dns , i wanna know how i can do this please help !

0ldman
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:58 am

Just a word of advice from an Internet service provider, *do not, under any circumstances reset, fiddle with or attempt to update equipment if it doesn't belong to you*.

We have a zero tolerance for anyone messing with our hardware. I imagine your Internet provider may feel the same way.

You may want to ask them for some changes, maybe see if they offer a bridge mode option. We do when needed.

There are usually reasons we run the particular firmware we do, usually related to our own personal experience and/or bugs fixed or introduced. Seems that most of us that do this for a living are generally several versions behind. We don't upgrade to the latest and the greatest until it's proven itself.

raindeer
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:13 am

they do belong to me , i paid for the both SXT's on my end and on the ISP's end

docmarius
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:29 am

The password is there for a reason, and it would we useless if anyone could reset/change it without being entitled to do it.
You either know it/ask your ISP for it, physically access the device, or brute force attack it (meaning try guessing it , wich could take a looong time).
There is no other way, and if there would be one, it would be a big security bug.

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:10 am

Without the password, only a reset with the switch/jumper is going to get you back in the device, and even then, you're not going to be able to save the configuration. If you happen to have a binary backup of your configuration laying around, you could try running a Mikrotik password crack program on it. (unless Mikrotik has fixed this issue, which I think they have)

docmarius
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:25 am

Without the password, only a reset with the switch/jumper is going to get you back in the device, and even then, you're not going to be able to save the configuration...
Which is the general idea behind it. :lol:
On the other hand, a netinstall with a new firmware and keeping the configuration... But the trip to the roof is still necessary.

CyberTod
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:51 am

The easiest thing to do is call the provider and ask for the password. You say you paid for the devices so they should give it to you.
But consider telling them what you want to do and asking them to do it for you, because from your questions I see you are not very familiar with the settings needed. You could end with no internet at all.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:12 pm

We sell the mikrotik to the client. It is configured by us. If they need something like you describe... they bring it to us. We then determine whether this will cause any problems. If it's not going to cause an issue we usually take care of it for free if it's a quick thing.

If the client asks for the password.
"NO." IS THE RESPONSE.

If they press the issue... they sign a form that terminates our service and support requirements. Once that is signed and all bills are paid. We log in. Remove anything proprietary. Then we change the password to admin and inform the client they are now "on their own." Service will only be available after payment in advance. No same day turn around even if it was convenient.

We are a network services company and not an isp.