Community discussions

MikroTik App

Ferrograph
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

wAP AC Poor Performance

Thu May 05, 2016 5:47 am

I bought a couple of the wAP AC models to try out hopefully to use full time since Im a big Tik fan.

I've only configured one so far and Im comparing performance with a Huawia HG635 (configured as AP) and using laptops, tablets and phones.

So far Im very disappointed.with performance. With the APs located in the top I've been testing 5Ghz throughput from a room 2 floors below. With the HG635 I get consistent throughput of 200+Mbps. With the wAP in the same location I cant seem to get anything above 60/70Mbps, despite the unit reporting links speeds of 450+ Although with some settings the AP TX rate wouldn't budge above 54M. Ive tried many combinations of settings but the performance just isnt there.

Has anyone else had one of these to try? I know they are new so they might not be quite right yet. But what makes the HG635 perform so well and the Tik struggling to be consistent.

Anyone got any suggested settings to try? Comments/discussion welcome.

uldis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: wAP AC Poor Performance

Fri May 06, 2016 1:43 pm

how was the other brand AP located and how did you place the wap ac?

Are you using the same wireless frequency and channel width as the other brand?
What configuration you have on the router?

0ldman
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 06, 2016 7:56 pm

What are your clients?

There was a thread earlier about Intel cards and their design flaws.

I've got a laptop in my shop at the moment with an Intel card problem. They make excellent hardware but fail horribly at drivers.

Ferrograph
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri May 06, 2016 11:06 pm

Both APs in the same place on their face (top room aiming downward) and only one powered at a time during tests. Used CH36. Export below. These settings gave best results:
add authentication-types=wpa2-psk eap-methods="" management-protection=allowed \
    mode=dynamic-keys name=MySecurity supplicant-identity="" \
    wpa-pre-shared-key=********* wpa2-pre-shared-key=*********
/interface wireless
set [ find default-name=wlan2 ] adaptive-noise-immunity=none allow-sharedkey=no ampdu-priorities=0 \
    amsdu-limit=8192 amsdu-threshold=8192 antenna-gain=2 area="" arp=enabled band=5ghz-a/n/ac \
    basic-rates-a/g="" bridge-mode=enabled channel-width=20/40/80mhz-Ceee comment=5G compression=no \
    country=no_country_set default-ap-tx-limit=0 default-authentication=yes \
    default-client-tx-limit=0 default-forwarding=yes dfs-mode=none disable-running-check=no \
    disabled=no disconnect-timeout=3s distance=indoors frame-lifetime=0 frequency=5180 \
    frequency-mode=manual-txpower frequency-offset=0 guard-interval=any hide-ssid=no ht-basic-mcs=\
    mcs-0,mcs-1,mcs-2,mcs-3,mcs-4,mcs-5,mcs-6,mcs-7 ht-supported-mcs="mcs-0,mcs-1,mcs-2,mcs-3,mcs-4,\
    mcs-5,mcs-6,mcs-7,mcs-8,mcs-9,mcs-10,mcs-11,mcs-12,mcs-13,mcs-14,mcs-15,mcs-16,mcs-17,mcs-18,mcs\
    -19,mcs-20,mcs-21,mcs-22,mcs-23" hw-fragmentation-threshold=disabled hw-protection-mode=none \
    hw-protection-threshold=0 hw-retries=7 interworking-profile=disabled keepalive-frames=enabled \
    l2mtu=1600 mac-address=E4:8D:8C:6B:94:1F max-station-count=2007 mode=ap-bridge mtu=1500 \
    multicast-buffering=enabled multicast-helper=default name=wlan5G nv2-cell-radius=30 \
    nv2-preshared-key="" nv2-qos=default nv2-queue-count=2 nv2-security=disabled \
    on-fail-retry-time=100ms preamble-mode=both radio-name=E48D8C6B941F rate-selection=advanced \
    rate-set=configured rx-chains=0,1,2 scan-list=default security-profile=MySecurity ssid=\
    MyWiFi station-bridge-clone-mac=00:00:00:00:00:00 supported-rates-a/g=\
    6Mbps,9Mbps,12Mbps,18Mbps,24Mbps,36Mbps,48Mbps,54Mbps tdma-period-size=2 tx-chains=0,1,2 \
    tx-power-mode=default update-stats-interval=disabled vht-basic-mcs=none,none,none \
    vht-supported-mcs=mcs0-7,mcs0-9,mcs0-9 vlan-id=1 vlan-mode=no-tag wds-cost-range=50-150 \
    wds-default-bridge=none wds-default-cost=100 wds-ignore-ssid=no wds-mode=disabled \
    wireless-protocol=802.11 wmm-support=enabled wps-mode=push-button
I tried to find the polar patten for the wAP but couldnt find anything definitive.

uldis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue May 10, 2016 3:30 pm

try to use the default settings, like, rate-set=default

The best option would be to reset the board to default configuration and test again the speed.

Ferrograph
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:19 pm

Sorry Ive not updated this post. I realised I wasnt using the wireless-rep package. After I replaced that I got the speeds expected.

I have yet to try the default wireless config for compatibility, but my experience is Ive always had to fiddle with Mikrotik wireless to get full compatibility with devices (mainly data-rates) - Apple devices particularly. I will try it though as if it works will speed up setup time on jobs.

One question though - I'd like to manage these with CAPsMAN but I cant find any info on what wireless settings are applied particularly the data rate which cant be changed once managed by CAPsMAN.

Any help on that would be very welcome.