Community discussions

MikroTik App

ragno
just joined
Topic Author

What's the ideal model of AP for this case?

Sat May 21, 2016 6:54 am

Hi,

I'm needing to install an access point 2.4 / 5.8 AC to cover an area of 350m² of a small office with 60-70 devices aprox. The office doesn't has a lot of walls, is quite clean for wifi signal.

There are 2 dedicated WAN links of 20Mbits/s each, working together in a load balance on a Mikrotik 1100ahx2.
The internet usage is medium to high during the day.

I did a research in Ubiquiti equipments and found the model UNIFI AP-AC-PRO, that I think could suite for me.

What do you guys recommend of Mikrotik products in this aspects?

Thanks!!

haik01

Re: What's the ideal model of AP for this case?

Sat May 28, 2016 10:31 pm

Hard to say. Are these 60-70 users just "phones" or are they heavily used laptops, that run Gbytes through the WiFi?

ragno
just joined
Topic Author

Sat May 28, 2016 10:40 pm

They are computers only...

For the smartphones there is one dedicate access point.

pateutz
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat May 28, 2016 11:43 pm

Hi Rango,

first of all if you will remain on mikrotik equipment's you should try CAPsMAN (http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:CAPsMAN) to set up your access points.
For 60 - 70 users you should thing at least on 3 AP's. From my experience till now the best number of the clients that should connected to mikrotik AP it's arround 15 - 20.
Related on models you should look on : wAP ac or hAP ac ( hide with Station Box In Spot from RF elements).
Choosing the right model - this it's something that should analyzed on what type of clients are connecting to the AP's.

I hope that will help you to investigate more and decide what kind of technology it's suitable for that environment.

Best Regards,

Daniel

haik01

Tue May 31, 2016 4:59 pm

Are the users "heavy" network users? I mean including network shares, database usage etc...

Also what is the existing interference level of other neighbour AP's? And why do the smartphones have separate AP's? Why not a second SSID with a separate VLAN? That way you keep the interference to a minimum.

ragno
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:53 pm

Are the users "heavy" network users? I mean including network shares, database usage etc...

Also what is the existing interference level of other neighbour AP's? And why do the smartphones have separate AP's? Why not a second SSID with a separate VLAN? That way you keep the interference to a minimum.
Today I have 2 Dlinks APs for the office and 1 Dlink AP for the guests.
The separated guest AP is dedicated for cellphones and guest laptops to don't overload the mains APs.

The usage of network (shared folders) is to open heavy design files (aprox 18mb each) and use the internet for upload/download the same size of files. Aprox. 75% of the users have this profile..

The interference level I tryied to summarize in the images bellow:
signal.PNG
channels.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:55 pm

Use wires for file sharing. The more APs the better. Something like 4 hap ac would be good. Regulate the power and run virtual Ap for guests on all of them parallelly to the office network.