Community discussions

MikroTik App

purana
Topic Author

Best approach to link several different networks/lans nearby?

Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:43 pm

I've been trying to picture it in my head and come up with a good method in which to link several networks together.

We have 2-3 networks nearby in which we want to link via wireless link. But I am trying to work out what the best configuration for this might be, but seriously struggling.

Say for example I have 3 networks as per the details below;

Network1 = 192.168.80.x (gw 192.168.80.1)
Network2 = 192.168.81.x (gw 192.168.81.1)
Network3 = 192.168.82.x (gw 192.168.82.1)

What would be the best way in which to have these connected via wireless links, that would enable us to route traffic from each lan across to each other, while also having some security that restricts the type of traffic that can pass between the wireless link that interconnects the networks.

If it makes things easier, let's consider that its only 2 networks, and the 3rd would be added later on. One of those locations is central to the other two, a such central location would be the hub of the network interconnects.

Anyone able to assist me?

I was going to experiment at first by using 2 x hAP (RB951Ui-2nD) units, since the locations are very close so these units if positioned on an internal wall close to boundary of buildings would work to test applicable configurations.

Interested in how mesh could be adapted too..

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help....

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Best approach to link several different networks/lans nearby?

Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:59 pm

If you broadcast two SSIDs - one for each remote site, then you would be able to filter traffic between the two VAP interfaces with simple filter rules in the firewall's forward chain.

purana
Topic Author

Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:54 pm

If you broadcast two SSIDs - one for each remote site, then you would be able to filter traffic between the two VAP interfaces with simple filter rules in the firewall's forward chain.
So in my central site, I would created to virtual AP's each with own SSID... obivously each site uses its own one to connect. So would I use starton-bridge and ap-bridge settings..

At which I should setup static routes on each router on each network telling it how to get to the other networks via what wireless network address?

Van9018
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:26 am

yes - you'd need to set up a static route at each site.

If you do not do a mesh, then you need 2 static routes at sites B & C. So Site C knows to send packets for Site B through Site A.

If you do the mesh, you'd change that routes on B & C to send directly between the two.

If Site A only has internet, then Sites B & C can have default routes to send internet traffic through Site A.

purana
Topic Author

Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:56 pm

yes - you'd need to set up a static route at each site.
Thanks for the reply. All sites have internet as our housing estate has FttP services. Just wanted to setup a wireless network between a group of us for some community stuff.

Might buy some test gear and attempt to configure it. See how I go, before I go to performing anything else more permanent.