Community discussions

MikroTik App

robertEIT
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wireless performance very bad - what am I doing wrong?

Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:32 am

Ok, so today I had it! 

Either I am doing something wrong when configuring my hAP Lites and RB951Ui2hnd or the wireless performance on Mikrotiks (at least on these series) is very bad wich I don't think so. Today I noticed my home RB951Ui2hnd is wireless is so bad, that a junk tp-link is literally wiping the floor with it. I stand 5 meters away from the Mikrotik, plain sight and I barely get 2Mbps with on 802.11n with my Dell E4310 laptop, same with my Blackberry and tablet, the Tp-link junk is insanely over it.

So I decided to post here, all the steps I do when configuring the wireless part on my Mikrotiks, along with some screenshots of my wireless settings, maybe some of you guys spot something I'm doing wrong 

My default, most used configuration is something like this:
-  ether 3 and 4 have ether 2 as master
- I create bridge1, add ether2, 3, 4 and wlan1 in this bridge. 
- PPPoE client on ether 1
- assign IP 192.168.1.1/24 on bridge1
- DHCP on bridge1
- NAT with out-interface PPPoE1 wich is on ether1

Then set up wireless.

The wired part works perfectly all the time, only the wireless is very poor.

I tried with or without regulatory domain set, same thing. I tried different frequencies, with or without WPA2, same poor performance.

Did I set up the channel and frequency ok?

Because I made more than 3 screenshots here a link to the uploaded pics - http://imgur.com/a/8vkhk

As wireless clients, I several Dells, my main one, a Dell E4310 with a Intel 6200 card, Dell E6430s, a Lenvo Tablet, Blackberry Q10, and the problem is present on all and on at least 3 locations where I have Mikrotiks.

StefanM

Re: Wireless performance very bad - what am I doing wrong?

Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:46 am

you need to choose frequency with less usage, i assuming thats the main problem there.

leonset
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:03 am

Some suggestions:

- You can't have a port both as a slave and in a bridge.
- Check to make sure you are not generating a loop with some other devices.
- Try with Data Rates set as "configured".
- When you are connected to the AP, generate traffic for a minute, what is shown on Registration tab? CCQ, signal leves, noise level
- Change your setup and use your AP as a router instead of using bridges

robertEIT
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:32 am

Ok, this is what I did for now.

I scanned the wireless usage using the Scan tool and some apps on my tablet, I got channel 11 as free. I set the frequency to 2462. I disabled DFS (set to none). I also set the Band to N-only as I don't use the G, and I don't know if I should leave B G N, does it affect anything? like performance, etc?

This is how my registration tab looks with both my Dell E4310 with the Intel N 6200 and my Blackberry Q10 looks like, with the hAp Lite at 1 meter. CCQ varies between 80% and over 100%.

@leanset

- You can't have a port both as a slave and in a bridge.
My bad, you are right, my bridge1 have ether2 and wlan1 as ports. 

- Check to make sure you are not generating a loop with some other devices.
Can you explain this?

- Try with Data Rates set as "configured".
I will try that. just leave them checked as they are by default?

- When you are connected to the AP, generate traffic for a minute, what is shown on Registration tab? CCQ, signal leves, noise level
I attached a screenshot.

- Change your setup and use your AP as a router instead of using bridges
Can you explain this to me please?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.