MikroTik App

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

[Resolved ??] CAPSMman dropping from virtual WiFi interfaces - 962 hAP AC

Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:41 pm

WiFivirtual.PNG
Devices which connects to the "real" interface 962_2GHZ have no problems...stable and good quality connection.
All devices connected to virtual interfaces defined "under" the real one are dropping.
Have you the same behaviour ? WiFi set to 2 b/g, or 2/b/g/n ... all combinations ... results are the same
CAPs are RB 962, 951G, 951N ... mix of different types.
CAPSman on RB2011L-RM. Local forwarding, GUEST and MOBILE network uses VLAN tagging
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

andriys
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: CAPSMman dropping from virtual WiFi interfaces

Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:59 pm

What RouterOS version is in use? How many CAPs?
I have a small installation (4 APs, 8 radios) running 6.34.6 on both CAPs and CAPsMAN, 2 SSIDs (one master and one slave interface on each radio). Works just fine, rock solid. All boards were upgraded from 6.32.4 three weeks ago, that version worked fine too.

Our setup is a bit different, though. For instance, we do not use local forwarding and VLANs. The types of boards also differ.

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:36 pm

5 CAPs, latest ROS. Nothing special except the fact that it's my first CAPSMan installation for about 60 devices.

EDIT: for 60 clients not CAPs

anuser
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:08 pm

I had to downgrade to 6.35.2 from 6.35.4 myself  to get wifi working in a normal state.

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:00 am

Problem resolved ... but not the way I have expected ...

Since my thirst post things get worser ... three days of complaints, unhappy 20+ users, connection drops on all three WiFi SSIDs .... simply "Routerboard Triangle" .....

Changes to channel combinations, switching radios on/off, tricks with power combinations in one and all radios, manually setting freqencies to nonoverlaping ones ... abracadabras ... hocus pocuses .... dancing with drums around routerboards ... no success ... drops, drops, drops ...

The solution:

Replaced 962 hAP AC with the "old proven" 951Ui-2HnD which have been replaced with this "new shiny thing".
As this 951 have been already part of CAP network but in the warehouse, far away part of the network, so it was just unplug/plug operation.

NO MORE COMPLAINTS - rock solid connections, working roaming as expected ...

Shame on you RG962 :-(

Marino
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: [Resolved ??] CAPSMman dropping from virtual WiFi interfaces - 962 hAP AC

Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:37 am

I experienced the same with capsman managing a HAP AC with ros 6.34.6, 6.53.2 and 6.53.4. Slow wifi and disconnects. A 951 works flawless with capsman. Thanks for sharing your experience. Thought it was my configuration. Now I doubt that and wait for ros and firmware updates for the HAP AC.

andriys
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:30 pm

The solution:

Replaced 962 hAP AC with the "old proven" 951Ui-2HnD which have been replaced with this "new shiny thing".
As this 951 have been already part of CAP network but in the warehouse, far away part of  the network, so it was just unplug/plug operation.

NO MORE COMPLAINTS - rock solid connections, working roaming as expected ...
Thanks for sharing.

I'd like to clarify, though. Are you saying that the whole network was unstable until you replaced a single CAP device? Sounds weird, but plausible. Are you in a position to share some details on you physical topology? Thanks in advance.

Marino
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:47 pm

Sure, I use a small setup. One Hap AC and one 951. Both managed by capsman. Only the 2.4 ghz is pretty unstable on the Hap AC, the 5 ghz is ok. On 2.4 ghz clients disconnecting random and the performance is slow and the network seems to be stuck sometimes. When I disable caps on the Hap AC and use the device as standard wireless device, all is fine. I don't have that problem on the 951. I'm using two SSIDs (one 'normal' wireless device and one virtual) and capsman forwarding. A pretty standard config with the wireless-cm2 package.

Wireless APs locked to CAPsMAN, certificate required. Two bridges for the two SSIDs.

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:27 pm

APBUILDING.PNG
Office building circa 50 m long x 20 m width divided with brick walls, some wood and metal decorations, 40 years old technology ... metal roof !!!
AP1, AP3, AP4 - 951Ui2Hnd
AP2 - 952-2n
distances about 12 m between AP but propagation is not too good so it is not a problem.
most of Wifi users are concentrated around AP3 on the same floor

Before CAPSMan:
  • AP1, AP2, AP3 - same floor
  • AP4 is one level down as most of Wifi Users are sitting upstairs
  • each APn had own SSID, power regulated to not overpower the space
  • manual "roaming" when use moves from one end to the other or downstairs or upstairs ...
  • working with no problems when users had learned where to choose which AP
After "pump up AP":
  • AP1, AP2, AP4 - no change
  • AP3 = new "better" 962 for 2.4GHz and 5GHz
  • 2011L-RM as CAPSMan
  • APn set to local forwarding
  • 3 SSIDs - for VLAN1 and 2 additional for Guests and Mobile devices
.... and ... the story goes as ...
  • dropping from all AP and switching from one to another ... all the time
  • as AP2 seemed to "catch" connections so I have lowered power ... no change
  • AP switched off ... no change reassociations betwen AP1, AP3, AP4 .... complaints from users.
  • computers dropped from WiFi .... mobiles even worsers ... almost no connections ... VLAns suspected ..
  • connections on 5GHz more stable as only the few devices had decided to choose 5GHz but there were no spectacular effect over 2.4Ghz
  • ... OK ... let make more changes ... AP1, AP2, AP3 manually set to non=overlaping channels ... no change ... dropping ... no stability ...
  • ... during test when only four or five devices have been connected ... my laptops, tablet and phone ... seems to work OK but it is not regular use
  • ... next day ... drops, no connections ... let make some filtering rules to drop too weak signal, or assign devices to particular AP ... no successs ... dropping
  • ... next try ... switch off AP1 or AP4 ... no change ... I was sure that 962 is working as expected and it have been in the middle of the working area so there was no possibility to switch it off during working day .... no change ... dropping ....
  • .... and so on, so on ... quite boring story
The end ... you know the end :
Remove 962 and replace it with the old 951 ..... Ta-Da !!!! Ta-Da !!!! Ta-Da !!!!
951-2n replaced with hAP lite for 5GHz ..... Ta-Da !!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Marino
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:01 pm

Hi, the following seems to work on my setup: I disabled chain 3 on the 24 ghz interface. With ros 6.36 and wireless-rep this works ok. I don't think the version and wireless package makes a difference though. The network is stable and up to par with Capsman activated for at least a day.