Community discussions

MikroTik App

deerefanatic
just joined
Topic Author

Metal9Hpn WPA2-PSK not enforcing?

Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:47 am

So I'm new to Mikrotik, I've been using Ubiquiti for my WISP primarily. I have freeradius setup and use 802.1x (WPA2-Enterprise) with username and password to authenticate client CPE's. I don't use PPPoE. 

I bought two Metal9's for getting a connection to a client that needs access for remote monitoring of a livestock facility that has tree cover blocking it from my tower. 5Ghz is struggling to make -80db with a 27dbi antenna.

Anyhow, I was trying to get WPA2-EAP to work. I thought I had the AP setup properly, but when I configured the station unit with SSID, frequency size, it automatically connected with no security settings applied. what I have found is that the unit will allow stations to connect without successfully authenticating in spite of the security profile I had in place. I made a WPA2-PSK profile also and set the wireless interface to use that, and the station antenna will connect to it. This concerns me greatly as i apparently can't keep people from connecting to my network!

Only way I found to lock things down was to set a Preshared key under NV2. Does NV2 negate the Security profile settings?

andriys
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Metal9Hpn WPA2-PSK not enforcing?

Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:11 am

According to the manual Nv2 does not use security profiles. Preshared key is the only way to authenticate Nv2 client and AP to each other.