Community discussions

MikroTik App

christopherve7alb
Topic Author

Slow HTTP Speed over Wireless vs Bandwidth Test

Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:03 pm

Hi all,
I've been using Mikrotik equipment to setup a 5GHz network for amateur radio emergency communications use and have been having exceedingly slow speeds on one of my long-haul links.  When I run a TCP bandwidth test to a Mikrotik router on the Internet I'm getting about 2mbps (expected), however, when I attempt to download a file over HTTP speed tops out at about 25KB/s (around 200kbps).

Signal is good (around -65dBm) and tx/rx CCQ is above 80%.  We are using BaseBox5 radios with NV2 modulation and 5MHz channel width.

Any idea why the extreme differences in speed between the MT bandwidth test and a real-world download and if there is something I can tweak to improve throughput?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

R1CH
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Slow HTTP Speed over Wireless vs Bandwidth Test

Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:44 pm

Have you tried with a normal client behind the MT device? It could be the built in fetch tool is simply inefficient (small buffer sizes etc).

christopherve7alb
Topic Author

Re: Slow HTTP Speed over Wireless vs Bandwidth Test

Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:23 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, I did observe that clients behind the device were experiencing poor speeds (25KB/s) which is why I started troubleshooting the http downloads directly on the Mikrotik device (wanted to rule out any routers/devices in between).

I'm starting to suspect there is an issue further into out into our uplink network (throttling or similar) as I can achieve expected speeds by running all traffic through an OpenVPN tunnel which goes between my Mikrotik device and a Linux server I control on the Internet.