Community discussions

MikroTik App

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

NV2 Access-Point - option to more prefer sending ?

Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:20 pm

This could be a NV2 firmware question or suggestion.

Is there a method (without using QOS), for a Mikrotik NV2 access-point to slightly prefer NV2 sending data and slightly slow-down/delay receiving data (when the NV2 AP is approaching saturation?

Here is why I ask the question:
 - Most Internet traffic is from the Internet to the customer (even when the NV2 AP is saturated)
 - When an NV2 AP is saturated, it only takes one (or a few) client(s) sending high-bandwidth traffic to the NV2 AP to have an effect on all NV2 clients.

So what I am seeking is a method (without QOS) to use the following information in the NV2 AP to better enhance the throughput.
 - When an AP is approaching a pre-defined throughput load point (or an automatic detected NV2 throughput load point) - then have the NV2 change the TDMA timing window *for client transmit) to a plus or minus defined variable/percentage to operate in a mode where the NV2 access-point favors sending to clients and slightly slows-down NV2 TDMA timing window for clients sending to the NV2 AP..

In other words - have an option to change from an NV2 TDMA timing where the transmit is 50 percent and receive is 50 percent of the TDMA timeslots to something like 75 percent the NV2 TDMA can transmit and 25 percent the NV2 TDMA clients can transmit (and the ability for the admin to tune these variables).

I would rather have 10-to-30 wireless clients receiving there bandwidth in a near normal throughput - than have 10-to-30 wireless clients getting delays because 1 or more clients are trying to send to the AP at very high bandwidths.

Also - to have this feature auto-engage only when the NV2 access-point is approaching saturation - and auto-disables when the NV2 is not in a saturation level. And have the ability for the administrator to enable or disable this feature.

Any ideas or thoughts ?

North Idaho Tom Jones

Paternot
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: NV2 Access-Point - option to more prefer sending ?

Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:53 pm

Would be possible to use traffic monitor and a script? Maybe two rules for each interface: one when above certain limit, and another bellow - to restore the default.

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Re: NV2 Access-Point - option to more prefer sending ?

Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:56 am

Would be possible to use traffic monitor and a script? Maybe two rules for each interface: one when above certain limit, and another bellow - to restore the default.
I thought about that - but I suspect a script of some form of a queue could impact CPU performance / CPU load.
The more I think about this brings up a question is - is there a way to or possible new firmware feature which could adjust the NV2 timing on an access-point which does something like set up to 80 percent of the TDMA time for the access-point transmitting and 20 percent of the TDMA window for clients transmitting.  (A user variable setting).
Right now - I think it is 50 percent and 50 percent when saturated (don't know...)