Community discussions

MikroTik App

BroganOs
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

routerboard 133/133c as a single access point

Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:51 pm

My isp, upgraded our antenna and left behind the old routerboard 133/133c. I'm thinking of resetting, upgrading the licence and using it as a single wireless access point for our whole site, instead of the 6 wireless routers we currently have. Before I go through all the hassle, does the RB133 have the power or range capabilities to cover a distance of say 600 metres?

h3ll1
just joined

Re: routerboard 133/133c as a single access point

Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:06 pm

First off, 133c has very weak CPU. Second - upgrading the license on this old routerboard will cost more than buying new one with better CPU, more RAM and maybe with better wireless card.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:24 pm

I'd be a little skeptic about it. Most importantly, there's probably a reason, why you have six APs instead of one. Routerboards are very nice devices, but they are not magic. Outside in open space and with proper antenna, 600m might be ok. In buildings, no way.

Then about the RB itself, it still might be good enough for light tasks, but it's old and weak. Also there's huge difference between RB133 (three ethernet ports) and RB133c (one ethernet port). The latter has only L3 licence and it does not allow to make AP for more than one client. While it can be upgraded, it's not worth it. Plus this old RB is likely to have only b/g wireless card.

In any case, you can use it for testing. To reset it and create a simple AP is just few minutes of work. If you have antenna, you can test the signal levels. But for actual use (assuming one AP would be enough), I'd swap the board for a new one with integrated n radio.

BroganOs
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:41 pm

Thanks guys, thats just what I wanted to know. 

I'll put it in the attic here to play with sometime when I'm bored!  :D