Community discussions

MikroTik App

0ldman
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

SXT 5 AC Lite

Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:35 pm

Just got a few in, playing with the dual band as a possible redundant connection.

Anyone else trying this?

How can I set each to use 5GHz as a primary and 2.4GHz as a backup?

I configured the same unit twice from blank, each time it chose a different interface/router as default. I'd like to set 5GHz as primary and 2.4GHz as backup.

InoX
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: SXT 5 AC Lite

Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:57 am

Do you know that when 5Ghz link will not work is likely that the whole SXT might be broken? So 2.4ghz will be useless. Not to say 1-2dbi antenna. Might work for 200m link.

0ldman
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:34 pm

Yeah, that's actually what I'm looking at. I've got at least three clients (my shop being one of them) within throwing distance of the tower.

I didn't realize it was a tiny antenna until after I posted this and looked at the specs.

Oddly enough it connects to my main tower near my home from indoors, which impressed me quite a bit.

The tiny antenna will work for redundancy for a few of my shots and whatever solution I come up with will be applicable later for better units (dual radio box).

InoX
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:26 am

The tiny antenna will work for redundancy for a few of my shots
I don't understand what you mean, SXT has license L3 and only one client can connect to it.

0ldman
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:57 pm

It can work as a client on both interfaces.

I have already tested it somewhat in my old office, connecting to my 2.4GHz AP on my tower as well as my 5GHz AP in my office.

It randomly chooses the default routes, otherwise it works fine. One link drops it rolls over to the other. Just not sure how to set one as a primary automatically while still using DHCP. I'd like it to be plug and play for my installers.

The units would be connecting to a 5GHz AP less than a quarter mile away with 2.4GHz sectors on the same tower. Service wouldn't be great, but it should work for redundancy if for some reason 5GHz drops.

If anyone has any input on the matter it will apply to dedicated, custom built units as well as the SXT 5 AC Lite.

Surely someone has done this, even if it wasn't with this particular unit.

I'm thinking I may need to run OSPF to set a cost on each route. Not sure, haven't played with OSPF much.