Community discussions

MikroTik App

skafnetworks
just joined
Topic Author

Wireless AP for University Campus?

Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:57 pm

Dear,

I work as an IT in a University. I Have been assiged the task to replace our existing Wireless AP's with something that works better. I would like to use Mikrotik. I need a recommendation to use a reliable Mikrotik AP. I need to install these APs in 4 different campuses made of 3 floors each. We have about 22000 students and 30% of them visit the university campuses in daily basis. Please advise me what to use, is Mikrotik ok equipment to use. I need to prove that this works and not fail.
All these students that visit the campuses need to get connected right away on their Laptops/Tablets/Phones and need to have stable connection to the Internet.
Please help!!!

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Wireless AP for University Campus?

Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:59 pm

It is not so much about the brand but about the design. Yes, mikrotik is generally reliable and advisable for such purpose. But it depends on you if you do it right or not....

skafnetworks
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:16 pm

Jarda,

Thanks for your response. Can you recommend a specific Mikrotik device that I can buy in my case, and do you have any links to best practices configuration for this case?
Thankyou.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:08 pm

There will be not only one device type in your case. You need to plan the placement and the effect of the devices and then select appropriate ones. None knows your buildings and your exact needs. If you need "one" device for getting familiar with mikrotik, get hap lite for around 20 dollars. It is not a miracle, for that price, but you can learn a lot from it, because all mikrotik devices work the same. They just differ in parameters and performance, but the operating system and its abilities are the same.
See the product catalog on routerboard.com.

skafnetworks
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:01 pm

Dear,

Ok, I have decided to buy around 10 new CAP RouterBOARD cAP-2nD (ceiling Access Point). What is the cheapest device that I can by that has CAPSMAN Management avaliable so I can manage all these Wireless APs?

Also is CAP AP good decision for this purpose?

Please help.

Thankyou.

Yakon
just joined

Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:06 pm

I think, it is not enough for campus (transmite power).
I prefered RB951Ui-2HnD (more power) or hAP ac lite (little more power and 2,4GHz, 5GHh)

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:11 am

All mikrotik APs can work with capsman. In building of student flats I would put one low tx device in center of each flat. High power devices are useless as the clients are weak also...

Yakon
just joined

Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:21 pm

And if you place one AP on a few rooms in the corridor? With 18-20dBm

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:12 pm

Will the phones and laptops be enough powerful to shoot through 3 or 4 concrete walls?