Community discussions

MikroTik App

neilh
just joined
Topic Author

CAPS > DHCP

Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:47 am

Hi,
I might be asking the obvious but.......
I have an RB2011 as a CapsMAN and 17 RB951 as CAPs in remote locations.
The RB2011 does not do DHCP, a Windows server on the network does that and each of the RB951 do their own DHCP.
so head office (RB2011) is 10.0.0.0/24
location 1 is 10.0.1.0/24 and so on

When I enable CAPS on the remote routers everything works, devices can connect to the wireless and access the NET, however
devices that connect to the CAPs wireless get their address and gateway etc from the office network (10.0.0.0/24)

I want them to get an IP address from their local pool (eg 10.0.1.0/24)

Two reasons...
first is that once I connect a printer to the CAPs wireless the computers on the wired LAN can't see it.

second... I dont want all the remote NET traffic coming through the head office and I don't want to be handing
out addresses for all the devices at the remote branches from head office.

Hope I have made sense here?

Cheers,
N.

MartijnVdS
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: CAPS > DHCP

Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:22 pm

It sounds like you haven't enabled local forwarding. In the configuration of the CAPs (on the manager), in the datapath configuration there's a check box named "local forwarding". If that check box is checked, the CAPs will do the forwarding, if it's not checked, traffic is sent to the manager, and the manager does the forwarding.

On the CAPs you can select a bridge that will be used for local forwarding in "/interface wireless cap" settings.