Community discussions

MikroTik App

Ted99
just joined
Topic Author

Strange WiFi speed problem on a RB951G-2HnD,

Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:01 pm

I bought a couple of these small amazing routers.
I have now upgraded them and done some basic configuration with security.

My major problem at the moment is that if I run speedtest.net on a laptop it sort of behaves ok and what you can expect, perhaps tad on the low side.
But when I do speedtest from a pad I get like 2-3 times UPLOAD speed as to download speed.
I have googled around and found some post regarding some advanced settings on wlan interface and trying that improved a bit lowering the "hw retries" from the default 7 to 2.

So if this is a known problem on current release on this hardware or something else that should be configured?

-Ted

Ted99
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Strange WiFi speed problem on a RB951G-2HnD,

Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:50 pm

Well,
Spent now a lot of time searching on similar problems and there seams to be a lot to be read over the years on slow WiFi on one direction.
Many of those threads do not end with a solution.

Also have done some changes on settings but no improvement, seams to be pad's and phones (android's) effected for me.
Maybe "if mikrotik then slow" from the big dragons? because it's a strong product challenging some broken ground here and it does not make sense.

So full speed uploading but only 1/3 to 1/4 of the speed downloading which seams to be common in previous posts in this matter.
I have tried the current two AP's (one Dovado and one Zyxel) and they work Ok.

As far as I can tell there does not seam to be a solution to this, so either I have to use my old stuff or other new stuff as AP's and find some other work for these or sell them.

------------------------

Edit in,
Looking now for some video tutorials I actually found a bunch, so do not know what was up with that before, my bad.

Top Tip to Mikrotik,
I can tell you do not aim normal users, and my self have some knowldege to judge that.
What would be helpful and not to hard to do is make some tutorial videos on:
Basic setup,
Collection with working scripts to download liked ping on wan disable and so on and how to use them.
Going over basics on the different interfaces.
Setup some simple filter rule for port blocking like finger.
Where to download and how to load up new firmware and even where to find the current version, states that OS and firmware should be updated in pair if possible, but on OS download side it does not state anything on minimum firmware revision for that build.

I spent quite a lot of hours to find out and try these things that should been there on one spot easy to see and updated.
Also can you turn of "auto fill" on console because it screws when you cut/paste a command that you found and want to try?

-Ted

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:25 pm

Wifi problems are usually due to interference, reflections, too strong or too weak signal.

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:14 pm

check for laptop wireless adapter updated drivers that can help, also update routeros to 6.36.3 and firmware to 3.33, change wireless package to wireless-rep.

then reset your wireless interface and change only your ssid and key

Yakon
just joined

Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:54 am

We have same problem with Mac devices on iOS...
"too strong or too weak signal"
Tx power 20 is optimal
Rx signal -60 ... -70

Ted99
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:35 pm

Wifi problems are usually due to interference, reflections, too strong or too weak signal.
Thanks for the reply,
I bought two, one I upgraded to latest and one I left on the version it was shipped with.
Same behaviour and throughput even on different positions.
check for laptop wireless adapter updated drivers that can help, also update routeros to 6.36.3 and firmware to 3.33, change wireless package to wireless-rep.

then reset your wireless interface and change only your ssid and key
Thank you very much for the suggestion,
The firmware was lower, but the upgrade did not do any difference.
Change wireless package to wireless-rep did improved situation, and phone works now but not pad, but start to look a bit like the android pad might be suffering from some WiFi issues, I have to investigate that a bit more.

BUT, ;)
Now the different WiFi scanner tools do not work any-more, maybe I broke it with some setting (do not think so) or maybe they do not work against the wireless-rep package?
Also are there any drawbacks using wireless-rep compared to the default wireless package?
We have same problem with Mac devices on iOS...
"too strong or too weak signal"
Tx power 20 is optimal
Rx signal -60 ... -70
Thank you very much for the suggestion,
Unfortunately it did not do anything for me.

----

So far,
The "hw retries" is so far the best "tuning" thing I tested (very visible), and for me a 4 is the best compromise between pads/phones/laptop´s which in it self is a bit strange because I can't really see any failed packages stat going up?
And switching to wireless-rep have made it better.

-Ted

Edit in,
Reverted in interface everything except the firmware upd, and still not possible running scanner tool and so on, probably have to reset it totally, or maybe just do firmware on the other to see if that alone breaks it.

Edit in 2,
The reason scanner tool did not work in the end was it does not work for me unless I am connected with cable to the router, can do everything connected over wifi but not run some tools, those works if connected with cable, might help someone.