Community discussions

MikroTik App

tmd1125
just joined
Topic Author

Using RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN

Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:51 pm

Hello, I'm new to the MikroTik hardware and software, but several of my colleagues use it with great reviews and I'm thinking about making the switch. My business has two buildings that are fairly close together and I am thinking about using two RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN routers linked by WDS. It's a fairly simple network and I was just looking for some opinions on this possible setup.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Using RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN

Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:32 am

Never use internal devices with omnidirectional antennas as ptp link. It will not be reliable. That is for general. Your description of local conditions says nothing, it is very vague so none can tell you good answer...

haik01

Re: Using RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN

Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:26 pm

If you have a line of sight (LOS) use dishes (preferable 5 GHz versions), to make a wireless bridge. On the other building you can use a simple switch to distribute the Ethernet after the dish. Also you can put multiple WiFi Access Points in the building and connect them to the switch.

You can use then CapsMan to control all these AP's.

Also consider a second (backup) link on a different position on the building. If one get's knocked off by wind, falling meteors, or landing UFO's on the roof, at least you will have the second link with (if properly configured) a automatic fail over.

But investigate also the possibility to run a fibre between the two buildings.