MikroTik App

dboreham
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

How to aim a P2P link?

Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:24 pm

Perhaps I'm doing something wrong here?

P2P link : one end has to be in "AP Bridge" mode, while the other end is in Station mode.

With present-day 801.11ac radios I find the RSSI data from Winbox etc tends to jump around -- perhaps as modulation modes and channel width are changed, which changes tx power. It is also quite hard to watch this data while holding on to a tower.

So, the LEDs provide a nice method for antenna aiming, but they only work on the "Station" end of the link.

What do folks use to aim the "AP" end of a P2P link?

(I'm using 2ft dishes so they are not easy to aim visually).

raymondr15
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: How to aim a P2P link?

Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:52 pm

Perhaps I'm doing something wrong here?

P2P link : one end has to be in "AP Bridge" mode, while the other end is in Station mode.

With present-day 801.11ac radios I find the RSSI data from Winbox etc tends to jump around -- perhaps as modulation modes and channel width are changed, which changes tx power. It is also quite hard to watch this data while holding on to a tower.

So, the LEDs provide a nice method for antenna aiming, but they only work on the "Station" end of the link.

What do folks use to aim the "AP" end of a P2P link?

(I'm using 2ft dishes so they are not easy to aim visually).

Hi,
Im not exactly sure about the aiming part but I would rather put the station device in station bridge mode instead of just station.

I actually think they normally have one person on AP side and another on ST side and look through a telescope.