Community discussions

MikroTik App

rgroothuis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

mAP Lite in Repeater mode

Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:22 am

This is driving me crazy!! I need some help. I want to configure a mAP Lite in repeater mode so that I can use the device as a WIFI extender. Is there a good guideline available that I can follow to do the configuration? I tried already many different things. For example:

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Connect_t ... ss_Network

But each time I'm being kicked out of WinBox as I'm making modifications to the setup.

I'm trying to make the configuration through the cable so that when the WIFI config is changed I'm not being kicked out. But still whatever I try it doesn't work and being kicked out :-(

What are the correct steps to setup the mAP Lite as a repeater?

I'm running the latest OS version!

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: mAP Lite in Repeater mode

Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:50 am

Use cable. Remove that used port from bridge or switch. Reconnect via mac address. Until you keep that port separate, there will be no reason of any config change to kick you out. You can make administration ip configuration for that port only and use winbox over tcp again to be really sure that the connection will keep on.

rgroothuis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:07 am

That is indeed what I tried to do. But for some reason I cannot get the connection to the mAP via the cable. Will give it another try and communicate the results.

Many time connecting Winbox to the mAP via the MAC address doesn't work, I really don't understand why.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:05 am

It was discussed here that built in magnet makes problems to ethernet port. Try to remove it.

rgroothuis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:16 pm

Finally made some progress on this subject. I found the "Setup Repeater" button in the Wireless Interface configuration. With this button I was able to setup a repeater. The mAP Lite is connecting to my WIFI AP, I'm getting an IP address. I can connect with my laptop to the mAP Lite. But I cannot browse the internet, from the mAP LIte I cannot ping my WIFI AP, strange.
Screen Shot 2016-10-18 at 20.01.49.png
In my debugging process I found out that the wlan1 which is connecting to my WIFI AP (192.168.0.x) is continuously getting a different IP address. Randomly within one minute the wlan1 is getting a new IP address. I don't understand why this is happening. Any idea how to check this? The logging doesn't show any error message. This could maybe explain why I cannot ping my WIFI AP or any IP address on the internet.
Screen Shot 2016-10-18 at 20.03.11.png
Above picture shows the connection to my WIFI AP and my laptop connected to the mAP Lite. I noticed that in the AP column there is a Yes (wlan1, WIFI AP) and a No (wlan2, Laptop). And wlan1 is continuously getting a different IP address.

Any suggestions, hints or tips are more than welcome.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rgroothuis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:45 pm

Anybody an idea why my Last IP is flipping all the time? And is this the reason why I cannot ping my main WIFI AP and thus not browse the Internet?

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:14 pm

Last ip is not ip of the interface but last seen ip during the communication. Isn't something like that written in the manual? Have you read it?
It is not the problem and has no influence on the wifi.

ffilmar
just joined

Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:50 pm

Hello all,

I struggled with this for a while then realized the key was to get a DHCP server on eth1 so I had a reliable connection to play with the wan1 interface. I now have a stable config that survives reboots and serves as a wifi extender for wifi with no password and with a password.

Basically these are the steps:

0. Connect to the mAP Lite via wifi per usual. Upgrade the OS if necessary.
1. In IP -> Addresses give eth1 an address (for the DHCP server). Make sure the IP address is something like "172.16.9.1/24". After you say OK the address will look like "172.16.9.0".
2. create the DHCP server on eth1 with "DHCP Setup". You will create a new IP Pool. Make sure the pool matches the IP of eth1 (172.16.9.0, as above).
3. If necessary, under IP -> Firewall change the three rules that reference "wan1" to "eth1". There are two rules under "Firewall" and one rule under "Nat".
4. At this point I connected eth1 to my laptop and waited for a connection. Turn off your laptop wifi. You will have to re-connect to the mAP Lite with the IP address you created for eth1 (172.16.9.1, in my example)
5. Remove the DHCP server from wan1 and create the DHCP client for wan1. Nothing has to be configured here.

At this point you can connect to wifi that has no password:

6. Wireless -> Interfaces -> wan1. Set wan1 to Station mode. Scan for a network and connect. Do not worry if in red you see "Error: not in scan mode".
If you open IP -> "DHCP Client" you will see it searching for an IP then acquire one. If not, you will have to create a Bridge for wan1. under Bridge -> Bridge hit "+". Nothing has to be configured. Then go to Bridge -> Ports. Make sure the Interface is "wlan2" or whatever "wlan" interface you have.

You will then have to go to IP -> Firewall and change the three disabled (red-out) rules to reference "wan1". There are two rules under "Firewall" and one rule under "Nat".

If your wifi has a password:

6. Wireless -> Interfaces -> wan1. Set "station" mode and connect. You will not be connected to the internet. Wireless -> wan1 -> Setup Repeater. Provide the SSID and "passphrase". Leave "Address" blank. If you open IP -> "DHCP Client" you will see it searching. Wireless -> Interfaces will show a bridged interface off wan1

7. IP -> Firewall . You will see greyed-out rules in Firewall and Nat because those rules now have to point to the bridge created by the repeater. Change the three rules that reference "eth1" to "bridge1". There are two rules under "Firewall" and one rule under "Nat". IP -> "DHCP Client" picked up an IP.. At this point I was connected to the Internet.

As you connect to different wifi you will see new "security profiles" created.

As far as automation, I saved different backups on the flash and reboot into whatever config I need from eth1.

I don't know if the forum allows uploading of router images but I have a stock mAP Lite image that does all the above (no passwords).

I'm so happy I ordered another mAP Lite!!

Questions welcome.

Valerio5000
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:28 pm

Hello all,

I struggled with this for a while then realized the key was to get a DHCP server on eth1 so I had a reliable connection to play with the wan1 interface. I now have a stable config that survives reboots and serves as a wifi extender for wifi with no password and with a password.

1. In IP -> Addresses give eth1 an address (for the DHCP server). Make sure the IP address is something like "172.16.9.1/24". After you say OK the address will look like "172.16.9.0".
2. create the DHCP server on eth1 with "DHCP Setup". You will create a new IP Pool. Make sure the pool matches the IP of eth1 (172.16.9.0, as above).
3. If necessary, under IP -> Firewall change the three rules that reference "wan1" to "eth1". There are two rules under "Firewall" and one rule under "Nat".
4. At this point I connected eth1 to my laptop and waited for a connection. Turn off your laptop wifi. You will have to re-connect to the mAP Lite with the IP address you created for eth1 (172.16.9.1, in my example)
5. Remove the DHCP server from wan1 and create the DHCP client for wan1. Nothing has to be configured here.

6. Wireless -> Interfaces -> wan1. Set wan1 to Station mode. Scan for a network and connect. Do not worry if in red you see "Error: not in scan mode".
If you open IP -> "DHCP Client" you will see it searching for an IP then acquire one. If not, you will have to create a Bridge for wan1. under Bridge -> Bridge hit "+". Nothing has to be configured. Then go to Bridge -> Ports. Make sure the Interface is "wlan2" or whatever "wlan" interface you have.

You will then have to go to IP -> Firewall and change the three disabled (red-out) rules to reference "wan1". There are two rules under "Firewall" and one rule under "Nat".

6. Wireless -> Interfaces -> wan1. Set "station" mode and connect. You will not be connected to the internet. Wireless -> wan1 -> Setup Repeater. Provide the SSID and "passphrase". Leave "Address" blank. If you open IP -> "DHCP Client" you will see it searching. Wireless -> Interfaces will show a bridged interface off wan1

7. IP -> Firewall . You will see greyed-out rules in Firewall and Nat because those rules now have to point to the bridge created by the repeater. Change the three rules that reference "eth1" to "bridge1". There are two rules under "Firewall" and one rule under "Nat". IP -> "DHCP Client" picked up an IP.. At this point I was connected to the Internet.

As far as automation, I saved different backups on the flash and reboot into whatever config I need from eth1.

I don't know if the forum allows uploading of router images but I have a stock mAP Lite image that does all the above (no passwords).

Questions welcome.
Hello, I would be very interested in your image map lite file. You can send it to me via email? valerio5000ATgmail.com

razortas

Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:16 am

Hi, I am very interested in what version you are using for this, you said latest but i am now running 6.36.3 on recently purchased map-lite and those menu items to setup repeater etc are not visible and or missing ? So is this possible still ??

snoop
just joined

Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:46 am

Hello all,

Questions welcome.

PLEASE! Help us, I have a mAP Lite and it's very dificult to configurate!

Quared
Trainer
Trainer

Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:15 pm

@ snoop,

where are your difficulties ?
Post your current config and be more precise about what you want to configure on your mAP lite

Sure, you've got enough knowledge about Router OS to deal with devices ..?

greets

snoop
just joined

Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:08 am

@ snoop,

where are your difficulties ?
Post your current config and be more precise about what you want to configure on your mAP lite

Sure, you've got enough knowledge about Router OS to deal with devices ..?

greets

Yes, I have the knowledge.
I need the mAP Lite in repeat mode or AP, for example, in my university I wish have internet and share with others clients because the signal its very poor. There have a hotspot and every student need a user and password, I have the initial configuration and I configurate the IP address, Netmask and Gateway of my university and not rulez!

Quared
Trainer
Trainer

Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:49 pm

Hello,

then just follow these steps by ffilmar, just checked these on my mAP lite and config works well.

Alternative might be found here. Disable WPS afterwards.

greets

snoop
just joined

Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:21 am

Hello,

then just follow these steps by ffilmar, just checked these on my mAP lite and config works well.

greets
Thanks I will try....

ffilmar
just joined

Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:11 am

Hello all,

Questions welcome.
Hello, I would be very interested in your image map lite file. You can send it to me via email? valerio5000ATgmail.com

Just sent it to you :)

ffilmar
just joined

Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:15 am

Hi, I am very interested in what version you are using for this, you said latest but i am now running 6.36.3 on recently purchased map-lite and those menu items to setup repeater etc are not visible and or missing ? So is this possible still ??
Yes, I am running the latest, 6.38.5. I have several map Lite repeaters. I'm connected through it right now ;)

ffilmar
just joined

Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:49 pm

Hello all,

Questions welcome.
_____

I can add to this developing "How-to"...

Switching Wifi Profiles

As you connect to dfferent public/private WiFis you will build up "Security Profiles" that allow you to connect to that Wifi again. they are found under "Wireless -> Security Profiles". You may have problems if one day you connect to, say, "HomeWifi" at home (which has a password) and the next day you are on the road and try to connect to "CoffeeHouseWifi". Your map Lite might not conect. things to check:

1. open "Wireless -> wlan2" (or whatever your "wlan" is). This is the screen where you "Scan" or "Setup repeater". You ~may~ see the mode as "station pseudobridge" or "station bridge". The SSID may be the last Wifi to which you were connected (say, "CoffeeHouseWifi"). The "Security Profile" may be "CoffeeHouseWifi-repeater" if there was a password.

You have to change a few values before you can connect back to "HomeWifi" or any other Wifi.

a. make sure your "mode" is set to "Station" - NOT "station pseudobridge" or "station bridge".
b. On that same page select the appropriate "Security Profile" from the dropdown or just pick "default".
c. Hit "Scan" and look for the Wifi you want.
d. Connect as you did above - depending upon if you need a password or not.

I usually have an xterm with 'watch -n1 ping yahoo.com' running in the background so I know when it connects.

Thanks again :)

iScape
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:07 pm

Hello,

greets
For those who are lookgin for mAP lite in repeater mode nowadays, AFAIK, the easiest way is to follow wiki, so I'm just posting updated address of what's @Quared referred to - https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ ... e-Repeater

iScape
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:08 pm

For those who are lookgin for mAP lite in repeater mode nowadays, AFAIK, the easiest way is to follow wiki, so I'm just posting updated address of what's @Quared referred to - https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ ... e-Repeater

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:08 pm

This is the screen where you "Scan" or "Setup repeater". You ~may~ see the mode as "station pseudobridge" or "station bridge". The SSID may be the last Wifi to which you were connected (say, "CoffeeHouseWifi"). The "Security Profile" may be "CoffeeHouseWifi-repeater" if there was a password.
There is an easy way to let the mAP Lite select the proper SSID and Security profile. viewtopic.php?t=169032#p833474

If you use "station" you will probably handle this as WAN connection, and do NAT and masquerading. Works with every public AP, that only sees that station.

For "station bridge", the bridge will only be granted by another MT AP. It will be a full-function transparent LAN connection. You can always use the WAN setup also.

"station pseudo bridge" aka "repeater mode" is for non-MT AP as transparant LAN connection, with some limitations (eg troubles with DHCP, the client behind pseudo bridge must initiate communication to build the IPv4 forward map in the pseudo-bridge)