Community discussions

MikroTik App

firerain
just joined
Topic Author

Wireless bridge with non-MT device + failover gateway (WWAN)

Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:24 am

Hey there!
I'm having trouble improving my network configuration. I'm almost sure I could squeeze a lot more juice out of it.
My current network setup is presented in the attachment. I hope it's clear enough. To be sure of that, here comes an explanation:

I've got two APs:
  • AP 1 - Linksys E2500 router
  • AP 2 - MikroTik RB435G
Some details:
  • AP 1 connects to the Internet through its ethernet port (AP 1 ETH1). There are some clients connecting directly to this AP by ethernet and/or wirelessly (LAN A).
  • AP 2 connects to AP 1 wirelessly (with WLAN1 - R52Hn) over 802.11N. AP 2 WLAN1 is configured as Station Pseudobridge. There are clients connecting to this AP wirelessly (over 802.11G) and one server (SRV1) connecting to it by ethernet - let's call it LAN B. This AP has also a working Internet connection (WWAN1). The WLAN1, WLAN2 and ETH1 are bridged. There are no firewall rules at all.
  • SRV 1 is a VPN server (to access whole network from outside). Other services, like HTTP are being redirected to it from AP 1.
  • Network link between AP 1 and AP 2 is quite stable. The distance is around 300 meters in open space. Signal to noise is around 43 dB. Average Tx/Rx CCQ is about 80% (seems too high just for web browsing from two clients).
What I want to achieve is:
  • To improve bandwidth - especially within LAN B;
  • To prevent network traffic going through AP 1 when connection is being established between hosts in LAN B;
  • To be still able to connect from LAN B to LAN A and vice versa. I don't care if I would have to split it to two separate networks (this option seems reasonable having in mind what I want to get from all of this) - just want to maintain routing between them;
  • To be still able to connect through VPN - not necessarily through SRV 1 (I could switch to L2TP on AP 2 later);
  • To have a failover gateway on AP 2 WWAN 1 just for LAN B;
  • To be able to implement AdBlock and proxy cache on AP 2 (just for LAN B).
I can change the network setup only within LAN B and AP 2. I have some spare network cards for AP 2 (like UBNT xr5).

I will appreciate any suggestions from more experienced in this matter.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

firerain
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Wireless bridge with non-MT device + failover gateway (WWAN)

Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:01 pm

Is there really no one that could help me sort this out?
If something isn't clear regarding my config, just tell me and I'll try to explain it further.