Community discussions

MikroTik App

TimGuyUK
Topic Author

UK P2P trial with Mikrotik Kit suggestion

Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:30 pm

So I have done a few Motorola / Cambium p2p non line of sites in my time and some obvious line of site 802.11 links up to 5km but I've never tried any MT kit. I am aware that there is some MT products that aren't allowed in the UK.

As an exercise I was going to try and connect my house to the office. Radio Mobile online has given me this cross section. As a starter for 10. Should I even bother pursuing this with MT products? And what would a good UK approved unit(s) to start playing with

Regards

Tim

maznu
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: UK P2P trial with Mikrotik Kit suggestion

Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:05 pm

I don't believe any of the main UK distributors for MikroTik equipment will sell anything which is not permitted for use in the UK (e.g. I don't believe LinITX or MSDist sell any of the 900MHz gear).

We've done a couple of "not quite line of sight" installs with MikroTik SXT devices - e.g. several buildings completely obstructing the view, or crest of a hill impinging upon the fresnel zone. Sometimes it's hard to tell from the cross-section whether it'll definitely work (or definitely won't)... but given how easy it is to hook up a MikroTik to your car's cigarette lighter socket, there's not much stopping you from going for a drive to find out :-)

e.g. this picture was posted to Facebook using the link established from the car to base station - and we definitely couldn't see the base station :-)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

nikc
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:11 pm

Very interesting, I'm looking to do the same !

Will have to get me a cigarette lighter POE adapter !

TimGuyUK
Topic Author

Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:01 pm

I don't believe any of the main UK distributors for MikroTik equipment will sell anything which is not permitted for use in the UK (e.g. I don't believe LinITX or MSDist sell any of the 900MHz gear).

We've done a couple of "not quite line of sight" installs with MikroTik SXT devices - e.g. several buildings completely obstructing the view, or crest of a hill impinging upon the fresnel zone. Sometimes it's hard to tell from the cross-section whether it'll definitely work (or definitely won't)... but given how easy it is to hook up a MikroTik to your car's cigarette lighter socket, there's not much stopping you from going for a drive to find out :-)

e.g. this picture was posted to Facebook using the link established from the car to base station - and we definitely couldn't see the base station :-)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater
Thanks. That's very helpful. Ill get a couple in and give it ago

Tim